Rolling Fricition, Kinetic Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses rolling friction and whether it depends on surface area or the size of the object placed. The scenario of a block and sphere of the same mass on an incline is used to explore this concept, with a similar scenario involving a cube and cuboid. The concept of toppling is also mentioned and the conversation shifts to considering two spheres with different radii and the effect on rolling friction. Finally, the question is posed on how the rolling resistance of a railway freight car would change if the wheels were swapped with larger ones.
Prannoy Mehta
Does rolling friction depend on the surface area? In other words, the size of the object placed? If I had a block and sphere of the same mass. Without static and kinetic friction coming into play. Which would experience greater rolling friction if they were on the same incline and of the same material and mass?

If I had a similar scene with a cube and cuboid (The base area of the cuboid is more, they are made of same materials and have the same mass.). Which would go down first if kinetic friction is considered? Assuming no toppling.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you picturing your block smoothly rolling down the incline?

Yes. Toppling over and over again. (With a good speed) Giving a picture that it is rolling.

That sounds like a combination of sliding and rolling, at least.

Yes, very true. I forgot about it. So I will reframe my first question.

Does rolling friction depend on the surface area? In other words, the size of the object placed? If I had two spheres (With radii r1 and r2. r1>r2) of the same mass. Without static and kinetic friction coming into play. Which would experience greater rolling friction if they were on the same incline and have similar forces between the atoms of one another? (I mentioned the latter condition to simply ensure that there is nothing to do with the interatomic forces between the atoms of the spheres with that of the plane. As the materials will be different. If not appropriate please modify the condition to convey the same message.)

If the wheels on a railway freight car were swapped with wheels similar but of a greater diameter, how will its rolling resistance be expected to change? ... does that say what you seek?

I could only guess the answer, hopefully someone else can help you with this.

Yes, precisely. Just assuming the wheels are perfect discs.

What is rolling friction?

Rolling friction is a type of friction that occurs when an object rolls over a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the surface it is rolling on.

How is rolling friction different from kinetic friction?

Rolling friction is different from kinetic friction in that it occurs when an object is rolling, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is sliding.

What factors affect rolling friction?

The factors that affect rolling friction include the weight and shape of the object, as well as the surface it is rolling on. The roughness of the surface also plays a role in determining the amount of rolling friction.

How can rolling friction be reduced?

Rolling friction can be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by adding lubricants to the surface. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object can also decrease rolling friction.

Why is understanding rolling friction important?

Understanding rolling friction is important in many scientific fields, such as engineering and physics, as it can affect the efficiency and performance of machines and vehicles. It is also important in everyday life, as it can impact the ease of movement for objects.