1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling Objects With Slipping Question

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    Consider a ball of radius r and total mass m, with a nonuniform but radially symmetric mass distribution inside it, so that it can have an almost arbitrary moment of inertia I. (a) If this ball is projected across a floor with an initial velocity v, and is at first purely sliding across the floor, what is its final velocity when it is rolling without slipping. (b) What is the total energy of the ball?

Equations:
    T = I * α
    v = r * w
    a = r *α
    rotational-kinematics formulas

I do not know how to even begin. For the ball to start rolling without slipping, v must equal rw, which means rw must increase. There is no mention of force of friction that might provide the angular acceleration in this problem, so I am quite lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Axxaaa! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Call the kinetic friction "F", and write out the equations for a and α

you should find that F cancels out in the end. :wink:

Show us what you get. :smile:

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Another approach is to consider the angular momentum about a point on the floor. Since friction acts along the floor it will not affect that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted