1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling Without Slipping

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.7kg solid sphere (radius .2m) is released from rest at the top of a ramp and allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is .5m high and 5.4 long.
    When the sphere reaches the bottom of the ramp what is the rotational kinetic energy and the translational kinetic energy.

2. Relevant equations

krotf=1/2(2/5mr^2)wf^2
    ktransf=1/2mvf^2

3. The attempt at a solution

krotf=1/2(2/5(2.7)(.2^2))wf^2
    ktransf= 1/2(2.7)vf^2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    mg(.85)=Kf
    Kf=13J

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

what is .85 ? :confused:

6. Mar 30, 2012 #5
    i meant .5 but I already know that kf=13 is correct

7. Mar 30, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ahhh! :rolleyes:

ok, you know the total KE is 13,

so add the formulas for the two KEs, use v = ωr, and put the whole thing equal to 13 :wink:

8. Mar 30, 2012 #7
    but how will that get me kinetic rotational and kinetic translational? i need each individually!

9. Mar 31, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz:)

write out the equations, and see how far you get :smile:

10. Mar 31, 2012 #9
    Hey,
    According to the law of conservation of mechanic energy the potential energy of the sphere transforms into kinetic and rotational energy of the sphere if we ignore the resistive forces. Therefore kinetic energy+rotational energy should equal to mgh=9.81(m/s^2)*2.7kg*0.5m=13.2435J. I'd use the equation E(pot.)=E(rotational)+E(kinetic)...mgh=0.5*J*w^2+0.5*m*v^2 to solve for w if you need to calculate both energies individually. Maybe I thought it too complicated, but please let me know if you know a better solution. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook