Solving Room Temperature Issues - Help!

• Thread starter a13x
  • Start date
In summary: And you can't just equate the energy in with the energy out as if they were the same thing. You need to use the equation given for Q and set it equal to the energy used by the fan. Also, remember that the units for U are W/m^2^.oC, so you'll need to convert the temperature difference to degrees Celsius before plugging it in to the equation.In summary, when a large fan consuming 200W of electricity is turned on in a room with an exposed surface area of 30 m^2 and an initial temperature of 25^oC, the indoor air temperature can be determined by using the equation Q = UA(Ti - To) where U = 6 W/m^2
a13x
room temperatures, please help!

Homework Statement

A room is initially at the outdoor temperature of 25C. Now a large fan that consumes 200W of electricity when running is turned on. The heat transfer rate between the room and the outdoor air is given as Q = UA(Ti - To) where U = 6 W/m^2^.oC is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A = 30 m^2 is the exposed surface area of the room, and Ti and To are the indoor and outdoor temperatures, respectively. Determine the indoor air temperature when steady operating conditions are established.

Homework Equations

Q = UA(Ti - To)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure where to start with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What happens to the 200 W of power "consumed" by the fan?

I take it that only a percentage of the energy consumed is given off as heat the rest is transferred into other energy forms obeying the energy cannot be creasted or destroyed rule just transformed from one source to another.

I know some of the energy used will be converted to heat and noise but can't seem to find an equation to work it out.

I think the indoor temperature will be the initial 25^oC plus however much heat is given off by the fan. Not sure if I am correct in this assumption or not.

You have to assume that all the 200W is put out as heat.
You probably also have to assume that this heat all goes into the room, otherwise there would be no point in telling you the value!

Got it now. Energy in and out have to be equal. With the energy in being 200J, the same has to be said or energy out. Ti = To = 200.

Just have to convert the equation so Ti is the unknown.

Thanks for the help guys

Yes, but be careful, Ti/To are the temperatures not the energy.

FAQ: Solving Room Temperature Issues - Help!

1. What are the common causes of room temperature issues?

There can be several reasons for room temperature issues, including improper insulation, faulty heating or cooling systems, air leaks, and inadequate ventilation.

2. How can I determine the ideal room temperature?

The ideal room temperature can vary depending on individual preferences and external factors. However, a general rule of thumb is to maintain a temperature between 68-72°F (20-22°C) for comfort and energy efficiency.

3. What are some effective ways to solve room temperature issues?

Some effective ways to solve room temperature issues include improving insulation, sealing air leaks, upgrading to a more efficient heating or cooling system, and using a programmable thermostat to regulate temperature.

4. Can humidity affect room temperature?

Yes, humidity can affect room temperature. High humidity levels can make a room feel warmer, while low humidity levels can make it feel colder. It is important to maintain a balance of humidity and temperature for optimal comfort.

5. How often should I check and adjust my thermostat?

It is recommended to check and adjust your thermostat at least once a season. However, if you notice any significant changes in room temperature or energy bills, you may need to adjust it more frequently.

Back