1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roots of a squared polynomial ( complex numbers)

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

problem in a pic attached

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i solved i and ii a , when it came to b , i just said that every one of the 3 roots will be squared having 2 roots 1 + and 1 - but then i read the marking schemes ( also attached) , and i got really confused and now i dont know what he wants from me

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He wants you to tell him what are all the square roots of -2, -2+2*sqrt(3)*i and -2 - 2*sqrt(3)*i.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    why cant i just say (z+2)^2= 0 and solve and do the same for the complex roots?
    why do i have to find the roots of the -2?

5. Apr 3, 2014 #4
    (z + 2)2 is not a factor of p(z2). It is a factor of (p(z))2, however, a completely different polynomial.
    The polynomial is not the object being squared. p(z2) only means that the variable z is being replaced with the variable z2. So, as a result, we know that z2 + 2 is a factor.

6. Apr 3, 2014 #5
    okay...thanks very much, tht was a tricky one, or maybe i am stupid :D
    either way , thanks , i got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted