Rotating black hole interiors take 2

In summary, the conversation discusses the black hole interior models of Poisson and Israel and their potential application to rotating black holes. The interior metric is described using Schwarzschild coordinates, with g^00 = 1-2m(r)/r. The authors mention "mass inflation" near the inner horizon, where m(r) increases infinitely. The fate of someone falling into a Poisson-Israel black hole is also discussed, with speculations about spaghettification and infinite radiation at the inner horizon. Additional insight on this topic is requested.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I have a couple of questons about the black hole interior models of Poisson and Israel http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v41/i6/p1796_1. While formulated in terms of charged black holes, similar models are expected to apply to rotating black holes.

1) What is the interior metric? Am I correct or even close in thinking that using Schwarzschild coordinates, g^00 = 1-2m(r)/r, where m(r) goes to infinity as one approaches the inner horizon (the Cauchy horizon) and that this increase in m(r) is what the authors mean by "mass inflation"? I'm finding the paper a bit hard to follow.

2) What is the fate of someone falling into such a Poisson-Israel black hole. Do they get spaghettified as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettification (My guess is no). Do they get fried by infinite radiation at the inner horizon? (My guess is yes). But I'd really rather not have to guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
@pervect did you have any more insight on this topic?

1. What is a rotating black hole?

A rotating black hole is a type of black hole that has angular momentum, meaning it is spinning. It is a region of spacetime where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it.

2. How is a rotating black hole different from a non-rotating black hole?

A non-rotating black hole, also known as a Schwarzschild black hole, does not have any angular momentum and therefore does not spin. A rotating black hole, or Kerr black hole, has a spinning singularity at its center, causing it to have a slightly different shape and properties.

3. Can anything survive inside a rotating black hole?

It is highly unlikely that anything can survive inside a rotating black hole due to the extreme gravitational forces present. However, some theories suggest that certain objects, such as very small particles, may be able to survive for a short period of time.

4. How does time behave inside a rotating black hole?

Inside a rotating black hole, time behaves differently than it does outside. Due to the intense gravitational pull, time slows down the closer you get to the event horizon (the point of no return). This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

5. Can we see inside a rotating black hole?

No, it is not possible to see inside a rotating black hole because the event horizon blocks all light and information from escaping. However, scientists can study the effects of rotating black holes on their surroundings and make predictions about their interiors based on mathematical models and observations.