1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating Frames: charges in a magnetic field

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    I've got a problem understanding a line of proof in my lecture notes.

Given that you have a charge of +Q and mass m orbiting a fixed particle of charge -Q' in the presence of a magnetic field B. The particle is moving slowly enough for relativistic effects to be ignored.

Given that:

[tex]m\hat{a_{I}}=-\frac{QQ'}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}\hat{r}+Q\hat{v_{I}} \times \hat{B}[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{v_{I}}[/tex] is the particle's velocity in the inertial frame.

Substituting

[tex]\hat{a_{I}}=\hat{a_{R}}+2\hat{\omega} \times \hat{v_{R}}+\hat{\omega} \times (\hat{\omega} \times \hat{r})[/tex]

into the first equation along with [tex]\hat{v_{I}}=\hat{v_{R}}+\hat{\omega} \times \hat{r}[/tex]

gives:

[tex]\hat{a_{R}}+2\hat{\omega} \times \hat{v_{R}}+\hat{\omega} \times (\hat{\omega} \times \hat{r})[/tex] = [tex]-\frac{QQ'}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}mr^{2}}\hat{r}+(\frac{Q}{m})[\hat{v_{R}}+(\hat{\omega} \times \hat{r})] \times \hat{B}[/tex]

Apparently the terms porportional to [tex]\hat{v_{R}}[/tex] cancel if [tex]\hat{\omega}=-\frac{Q}{2m}\hat{B}[/tex]

Why is this so? Visualizing the situation will probably help a lot.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is \omega \times r? Are these scalars or vectors? You are mixing scalars and vectors here.

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    I've corrected it now. The \times is supposed to be the cross product. I didn't know what the latex is for cross product.

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This is just a guess. To me that looks like the cyclotron frequency in the presence of a net charge. So the motion is purely radial in a reference frame which is rotating at the cyclotron frequency.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    Well, the omega frequency is known as the larmor frequency. It is half the cyclotron frequency. The charge +Q is precessing around the charge -Q. I don't understand how the velocity in the rotating frame cancels, giving that it is orbiting in the rotating frame (which means there must be a v subscript R).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook