Rotation Operator/Orthogonal matrices in quantum mechanics

In summary: Yes, this should help. In summary, you can find an orthogonal matrix, R, that satisfiesR^{T}R = D(\phi, \hat{n})
maverick280857

Homework Statement

Write all orthogonal matrices in the form [tex]e^{i\phi \frac{\hat{n}\bullet\vec{L}}{\hbar}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't understand the question. An orthogonal matrix [itex]R[/itex] satisfies

[tex]R^{T}R = RR^{T} = I[/tex]

and rotation matrices in 3 dimensions are orthogonal. Further,

[tex]e^{i\phi \frac{\hat{n}\bullet\vec{L}}{\hbar}}[/tex]

describes a finite rotation of [itex]\phi[/itex] about the axis [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]. What do I have to show here?

Thanks in advance.
-Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Vivek :smile:

All you have to do is to show that any orthogonal matrix can be interpreted as a rotation matrix. While you have stated that all rotation matrices are orthogonal, you have to show that all orthogonal matrices can be seen as some sort of rotation matrix. Now, if you can do this, you have proven the problem :smile:

Happy New Year!

Thanks for your reply Domnu, but I understand that the exponential form is indeed a rotation matrix so while I was able to paraphrase the problem in the form you stated it, it wasn't obvious to me how we can say that

for every orthogonal matrix [itex]R[/itex], we can find [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] such that

[tex]R = D(\phi, \hat{n})[/tex]

where D denotes the exponential form.

How do I show this for arbitrary [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]? I know that a finite rotation can be broken up in terms of Euler angles, but even so, how do I prove the existence rigorously?

Thanks.

Right, so we can try to do something of the following form: let [tex]A[/tex] be our matrix such that

[tex]A = \begin{bmatrix} a & b & c\\ d & e & f \\ g & h & j\end{bmatrix}[/tex]​

Now, each of the columns are orthogonal to each other, and we need that the determinant of [tex]A[/tex] be 1. In addition, we know that the sums of squares of each row and column are all 1, so if we look at each column vector put in space and form a box out of the three vectors, we find that this box is a "unit box" whose side lengths are all 1 (which nicely proves the determinant idea), and that it can be rotated somehow. In other words, this is just taking the x,y,z unit vectors and rotating them somehow (to preserve orthonormality). Now, getting this orthogonal matrix is simple: just apply the 3D rotation matrix (which you can get from Eulerian angles, etc.) to the identity matrix.

Does this help? :smile:

What is a Rotation Operator in quantum mechanics?

A Rotation Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the effects of rotation on a quantum state. It is represented by an orthogonal matrix, which is a square matrix with elements that are complex numbers.

What are Orthogonal matrices in quantum mechanics?

Orthogonal matrices are square matrices with elements that are complex numbers and satisfy the condition that the transpose of the matrix is equal to its inverse. In quantum mechanics, orthogonal matrices are used to represent transformations, such as rotations, of quantum states.

What is the importance of Rotation Operators in quantum mechanics?

Rotation Operators are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to describe and predict the behavior of quantum systems under rotations. They are essential in understanding the symmetries and properties of quantum states and operators.

How are Rotation Operators applied in quantum mechanics experiments?

In quantum mechanics experiments, Rotation Operators are applied to quantum states to simulate rotations and measure the resulting changes in the state. They are also used in calculations to determine the probabilities of different outcomes in experiments involving quantum systems.

Can Rotation Operators be used in other branches of science?

Yes, Rotation Operators can be used in other branches of science, such as physics and engineering, to describe and analyze rotations and their effects. They are also used in computer graphics and computer vision applications to represent and manipulate 3D objects through rotations.