Rotation operator quantum mechanics

In summary, the concept of the rotation operator in quantum mechanics involves constructing a representation of SO(3) on a Hilbert space by mapping a rotation matrix to a unitary operator. This operator represents a rotated version of the quantum mechanical state and must satisfy certain conditions, including the same multiplication table as 3x3 rotation matrices. This representation can also be expressed in terms of infinitesimal rotations and exponential functions.
Yoran91
Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on the concept of the rotation operator in QM.
From what I understand, one constructs a representation of SO(3) on a Hilbert space by mapping a rotation matrix [itex]R\in SO(3)[/itex] specified by an angle [itex]\phi[/itex] and a unit vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] to

[itex]D(R) = \exp[-\frac{i \phi}{\hbar}\vec{J}\cdot \vec{n}] [/itex].

However, I know that
[itex] R = exp[-\frac{i \phi}{\hbar}\vec{J}\cdot \vec{n}] [/itex],

which is just the exponential map from [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3)[/itex] to [itex]SO(3)[/itex].
This would amount to saying
[itex]D(R)=R[/itex],

which confuses me. What is going on here? Are we viewing [itex]R[/itex] as an operator on the Hilbert space?

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex]J_i[/itex]'s in the second equation are matrices of the defining representation of [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3)[/itex]. The [itex]J_i[/itex]'s in the first equation should better be called [itex]\pi(J_i)[/itex], where [itex]\pi : \mathfrak{so}(3)\rightarrow \mathcal{L}(\mathcal{H})[/itex] is a representation of [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3)[/itex] on a Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex] (the angular momentum operators). So these are really different things and your confusion comes from the abuse of notation.

I guess I don't really understand the representation of [itex]SO(3)[/itex] on the Hilbert space then.

What is the map [itex]\pi[/itex] and what is that Hilbert space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex]? I've never seen a map from [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3)[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{L(H)}[/itex] before, so I don't really now how that works.

A representation of a Lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak g[/itex] is a linear map [itex]\pi:\mathfrak g \rightarrow \mathcal L (\mathcal H)[/itex] from the Lie algebra into the linear operators on some vector space such that [itex]\pi([a,b]) = [\pi(a),\pi(b)][/itex] (the Lie bracket is mapped to the commutator). If we apply this to quantum mechanics and [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3)[/itex], the vector space could be [itex]L^2(\mathbb R^3)[/itex] for example and the map [itex]\pi[/itex] could be given by [itex]\pi(J_i) = (\hat{\vec{r}}\times\hat{\vec{p}})_i[/itex], where [itex]\hat{\vec{r}}[/itex] is the operator that multiplies a state by [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\vec{p}} = -\mathrm i \hbar\nabla[/itex]. You can easily check that this representation obeys the [itex]\mathfrak{so}(3)[/itex] bracket structure. But you have to be careful: If you exponentiate a Lie algebra representation, you don't necessarily get a representation of the corresponding Lie group. However for the example i just gave you, you do.

But all of this is just a sophisticated way of saying that the [itex]\vec{J}[/itex] is really [itex]\hat{\vec{r}}\times(-\mathrm i\hbar\nabla)[/itex] in your first equation and a vector of 3x3 matrices [itex]J_i[/itex] given by [itex](J_i)_{jk} = \epsilon_{jik}[/itex] (up to some factors) in your second equation.

Last edited:
Try this approach:

Presumably, for every quantum mechanical state there is a rotated version of that state. This means that, given an axis ##\hat{n}## and an angle ##\phi## there is a unitary operator ##O(\phi, \hat{n})## on the Hilbert space of your quantum mechanical system. This operator has the property that for any state ##| \psi \rangle##, ##O(\phi, \hat{n}) |\psi \rangle## is the rotated version of ##|\psi\rangle##, where the rotation is by an angle ##\phi## around the axis ##\hat{n}##.

So we have a bunch of these operators O, one for each angle and axis. One condition they have to satisfy is that composition of rotations has to come out right. So if we rotate a state twice to get the state ##O(\phi_1, \hat{n_1}) O(\phi_2, \hat{n_2}) | \psi \rangle##, this state had better be equal to ##O(\phi_3, \hat{n_3}) |\psi\rangle##, where ##(\phi_3, \hat{n_3})## is the rotation that results from composing ##(\phi_1, \hat{n_1})## and ##(\phi_2, \hat{n_2})##. So the operators ##O## have to have the same multiplication table as, say, the 3x3 rotation matrices. So the operators ##O## are a representation of the group SO(3).

Now consider infinitesimal rotations. The ##O##'s are unitary, so we can write an infinitesimal O as

##O(\epsilon, \hat{n}) = 1 + i \epsilon J(\hat{n})##.

Where ##J(\hat{n})## is some Hermitian operator on the Hilbert space (and 1 is the identity operator on the Hilbert space). Now I think we argue that SO(3) is three-dimensional, so the ##J(\hat{n})## can be written as linear combinations of three basis operators, which we arrange in a vector ##\vec{J}##. So

##O(\epsilon, \hat{n}) = 1 + i \epsilon \hat{n} \cdot \vec{J}##.

The ##\vec{J}## operators are then a set of three operators on the Hilbert space which form a representation of the Lie algebra so(3).

Finally, if we like we can use exponentials to represent finite ##O##'s in terms of the ##J## operators:

##O(\phi, \hat{n}) = \exp(i \phi \hat{n} \cdot \vec{J})##.

The basic idea is rather simple. One starts with a wave function [itex]\psi(r)[/itex]. Then one rotates 3-space with a 3*3 rotation matrix [itex]r \to r^\prime = R r[/itex].

On the other hand one has operators [itex]\mathcal{O}[/itex], e.g. the r-operator itself, operators for the momentum p represented as differential operators etc. These operators act on the wave function [itex]\psi \to \psi^\prime = \mathcal{O}\psi[/itex].

Note that we may chose a different representation, e.g. wave function in momentum space. We still have the same operators (in the abstract sense) but now they are represented differently. In momentum space the momentum operator simply becomes a number p, whereas now the r-operator is represented as diffential operator.

In the case of rotations in r-space defined via rotations matrices we are are looking for operators acting on the wave function. That means we want to construct a representation [itex]D(R)[/itex] associated with a rotation [itex]R[/itex]

[tex]\psi(r) \to \psi(r^\prime) = \psi(Rr) \stackrel{!}{=} D(R)\,\psi(r) = \psi^\prime(r)[/tex]

The last line and especially (!) is more or less the defining equation for the idea of representing an entity [itex]R [/itex] acting on [itex]r[/itex] by a new entity [itex]D(R)[/itex] acting on [itex]\psi[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is a rotation operator in quantum mechanics?

A rotation operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation that describes the transformation of a quantum state when the system undergoes a rotation in space. It is represented by a unitary operator that rotates the state vector by a certain angle around a specified axis.

2. How does a rotation operator affect quantum states?

A rotation operator changes the orientation of a quantum state, but it does not change the probability of measuring a certain value. The overall state of the system is still described by the same wave function, but its components are rotated in a new direction.

3. How is a rotation operator represented mathematically?

A rotation operator is represented by a unitary matrix, with the specific form depending on the axis and angle of rotation. In three-dimensional space, rotation operators are often described using Euler angles or the rotation matrix, which involves the three Pauli matrices.

4. What is the significance of rotation operators in quantum mechanics?

Rotation operators are essential in quantum mechanics because they allow us to describe and predict the behavior of quantum systems in three-dimensional space. They are also fundamental to many quantum mechanical phenomena, such as spin and angular momentum.

5. Can rotation operators be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, rotation operators can be applied to any quantum system that is described by a wave function. This includes particles with spin, such as electrons, as well as systems with angular momentum. However, the specific mathematical form of the rotation operator may vary depending on the system's properties.