Rotational dynamics Find acceleration

In summary: That means that the tension in the upper and lower part of the belt are not equal, and both produce torque of their own. Tupper should produce a clockwise moment, Tlower should produce a counterclockwise moment.Tupper should produce a clockwise moment, Tlower should produce a counterclockwise moment.
ForceFail
Posting problems as images is against forum guidelines and generatr less response

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/eYoa8Ut

Homework Equations

Torque=rt=I(alpha)
t-mg=-ma
alpha = a/r

The Attempt at a Solution

t-mg=-ma is the equation for the hanging mass.
To find how much this turns the small wheel,
rt=I(alpha) I and r are known
rt=Ia/r

I'm not sure what to do from here. If I try and solve for a and t now, it gives an incorrect answer. I think this is due to me not doing anything with the larger wheel yet, but I'm not sure what to do with it. I know that the tension in the upper and lower part of the belt are not equal, and both produce torque of their own. Tupper should produce a clockwise moment, Tlower should produce a counterclockwise moment.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ForceFail said:
Tupper should produce a clockwise moment, Tlower should produce a counterclockwise moment.
Quite so. So include these in your torque equation for the smaller wheel and write down the torque equation for the larger wheel.

So for the smaller wheel:
tr+(Tl)R-(Tu)R=I(alpha)
Larger wheel gives:
(Tu)(Rlw)-(Tl)(Rlw)=I(alpha)

So now I have 2 equations and four unknowns. t,(Tl),(Tu),(alpha)
I can write t=mg-ma and alpha as a/r, Does alpha = a/r for the small wheel use the smaller or larger radius? Since its a tangential I would assume the larger.
That gives
(mg-ma)r+(Tl)R-(Tu)R=Ia/R
and
(Tu)(Rlw)-(Tl)(Rlw)=Ia/(Rlw)

If this is right I'm now down to 3 unknowns and only 2 equations.

ForceFail said:
So for the smaller wheel:
tr+(Tl)R-(Tu)R=I(alpha)
Larger wheel gives:
(Tu)(Rlw)-(Tl)(Rlw)=I(alpha)

So now I have 2 equations and four unknowns. t,(Tl),(Tu),(alpha)
I can write t=mg-ma and alpha as a/r, Does alpha = a/r for the small wheel use the smaller or larger radius? Since its a tangential I would assume the larger.
That gives
(mg-ma)r+(Tl)R-(Tu)R=Ia/R
and
(Tu)(Rlw)-(Tl)(Rlw)=Ia/(Rlw)

If this is right I'm now down to 3 unknowns and only 2 equations.
Look carefully at how Tu and Tl appear in these equations. Notice anything?

haruspex said:
Look carefully at how Tu and Tl appear in these equations. Notice anything?

I see, multiplied equation 1 by R(lw) and equation 2 by R and added them. Then Tu and Tl cancel and you can solve for a. Got the right answer Thanks.

ForceFail said:
I see, multiplied equation 1 by R(lw) and equation 2 by R and added them. Then Tu and Tl cancel and you can solve for a. Got the right answer Thanks.
Good.
Note what this means physically. Suppose the belt is elastic. Making it tighter will increase both tensions equally, but won't affect the answer to the question.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

2. What is acceleration in rotational dynamics?

In rotational dynamics, acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed changes over time.

3. How do you find acceleration in rotational dynamics?

To find acceleration in rotational dynamics, you can use the formula a = α * r, where a is the angular acceleration, α is the angular velocity, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the object.

4. What factors affect acceleration in rotational dynamics?

The main factors that affect acceleration in rotational dynamics are the torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion), and the object's angular velocity.

5. How is rotational dynamics used in real life?

Rotational dynamics is used in many real-life applications, such as understanding the motion of planets and satellites, designing vehicles with rotating parts (like wheels and propellers), and analyzing the motion of athletes and dancers.