1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational dynamics - System in Equilibrium

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hi all, first year MechEng student here, final question of the final assignment of the year, would appreciate any assistance:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 0.150 kg yo-yo has an outer radius R that is 5.60 times greater than the radius r of its axle. The yo-yo is in equilibrium if a mass m is suspended from its outer edge, as shown in the figure .

(http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1123236/2/Walker.11.95.jpg)

Find the tension T1

Find the tension T2

Find the mass 'm'

2. Relevant equations
    w=mg
    I=1/2mr2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Having drawn FBD's for the system, I found no problem in deriving an equation for T1 (if I find this I'm sure I will have no problem with the rest) however it contained variables which when submitted, I was told the answer was not to contain. After much struggling I can't see how it can be done.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi numan-chris! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    thank you for the reply, managed to solve the problem myself about 5 minutes ago, was missing a variable from one of the simultaneous equations I needed, novice mistake!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook