1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational energy conservation

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    I am a little confused about the energy conservation of a pin ended free falling rod.
    When i try to derive energy conservation equation i am not sure including angular and linear velocity at the same time. I try to visualize the problem in the attached picture and put my derivation also.
    Any explanation will be appretiated.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2
    This is the kinetic energy in general:

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m v_{cm}^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^2[/itex]

for this example the velocity of the center of mass
    [itex]v_{cm} = \frac{L}{2}\omega[/itex]

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m \frac{L^2}{4}\omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^2[/itex]

Notice if the center of rotation is at the end of the rod, the angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] is the same as for the center of rotation being the center of mass.

The moment of inertia changes by the parallel axis theorem
    [itex]I_0 = I_{cm} + m\left(\frac{L}{2}\right)^2 = I_{cm} + m\frac{L^2}{4}[/itex]

So we find that the rotational kinetic energy about the end of the rod is equal to the total kinetic energy from before.
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}I_0\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}\left(I_{cm} + m\frac{L^2}{4}\right)\omega^2 = KE[/itex]

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    MisterX thanks for the answer.
    Could you also suggest me an alternative way of determining angular velocity?

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    No, he's saying that your solution is incorrect: either you use the kinetic energy of rotation with respect to the centre of mass (and then the moment of inertia is not the one you wrote) *and* the centre of mass' kinetic energy, or the kinetic energy of rotation with respect to the pin, *only* (with the moment of inertia you wrote).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook