1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Equilibrium Lab Question

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    In my general physics lab, we are trying to show that certain systems are in equilibrium. The apparatus that we are using for rotational equilibrium consists of a boom resting on an axis point, attached to a string/pully that has a given tension.

The measured forces in the lab are in Newtons, but the measurements of the Moment Arms are in centimeters. Will I need to convert my measurements into meters before doing my calculations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What are the units of a Newton?
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    The forces were originally in grams, so we converted them to Newotons by mutliplying the mass by 10^-3, then multiplying b y 9.8 m/s So.... the Newton would be Kg*m/s...

This is why I was thinking I had to convert my measurements to meters, so everything jived together. Am I correct in thinking this?
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Most definitely.

Be more certain next time. Facts are facts.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?