1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics - Cylinder down a slope.

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A certain non-uniform but cylindrically symmetric cylinder has mass 9 kg, radius 1.2 m, and moment of inertia about the center of mass 7.6 kg m2. It rolls without slipping down a rough 20° incline.

What is the acceleration of the cylinder's center-of-mass?

2. Relevant equations

kinematics and the rotational equivalents

3. The attempt at a solution

The hints I was given was to find/use 3 equations. I believe the equations I found are wrong. I seem to have some difficulty with kinematics, and now especially this rotational kinematics.

I found:
    m*g*sin(20) - F(friction) = m*a
    T(orque) = I * alpha
    a = alpha * r

Any help to whether these are the useful equations, and how I may go about using these? Thx. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

What is the relationship between torque on the cylinder and the frictional force at the circumference?
  4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Are they the same?

b/c the frictional force is a force not coming out from the CM; therefore it helps it spin? I believe it is the only other force, so they must be the same?
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. Nov 2, 2008 #4
    I also tried using the gravitational force as the Torque.
    I used m*g*sin(20)=I*alpha
    m*g*sin(20)/I=alpha and alpha*R = a
    so... m*g*sin(20)*R/I=a,
    but this didn't work either.

I just solved this problem.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. Nov 20, 2008 #5
    Use these equations:
    mgsin(20) - F(friction) = ma
    I(alpha) = F(friction)*r

The only force that applies a torque is friction, because the normal force and gravity both act on the center of mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?