1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational motion- steam engine

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The flywheel of a steam engine begins to rotate from rest with a constant angular acceleration of 1.35 rad/s^2. It accelerates for 33.1 s, then maintains a constant angular velocity. Calculate the total angle through which the wheel has turned 47.5 s after it begins rotating.

2. Relevant equations

1. w=wi +alpha(time)

2. theta - theta(initial) = 1/2(w +wi)t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted this problem several times and keep getting the answer wrong!!! (note: I do not know the correct answer for this particular problem)

First I used equation 1 to find the constant angular velocity. Then, since I know that constant velocity means zero acceleration, I used equation 2 to find the total angle. What am I doing wrong? Please help!:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would help to graph the angular speed as a function of time. The area under the graph is what you are trying to calculate.

If it starts at [itex]\omega = 0[/itex] then [itex]\omega = \alpha t[/itex] and:

[tex]\theta_1 = \frac{1}{2}\alpha t_1^2[/tex] (angle after 33.1 seconds)

[tex]\theta_2 = \alpha(t_1) (t_f - t_1)[/tex] (increase in angle to t= 47.5 seconds)

which is essentially what you have already figured out. Just add those two equations to get [itex]\theta = \theta_1 + \theta_2 [/itex] and solve.

AM

4. Mar 7, 2007 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

There are 2 phases - 33.1s of acceleration and 14.4s of constant velocity.
    You must calculate the number of turns for each phase and add them.
    Adapt the well known relations

distance = 1/2*acc*time^2
    distance = velocity*time

to the angular case.

5. Mar 7, 2007 #4
    thank you very much, I got the answer correctly. :smile:

6. Nov 7, 2009 #5
    I am actually using θ1= ½ αt12 and θ2=α (t1)(tf-t1) and adding both angles together but I am not getting the answer right??

thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  7. Nov 7, 2009 #6
    aha, the answer was in radians, not degrees

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?