News S BUSH ub SPEACH lim IN in IDAHO al

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAmccarthyism.htm [Broken] is just a portion of what propaganda enabled during the cold war. People actually accepted this and participated in it.
The original propaganda machine wasn't started by a president's administration. History has shown that much of the McCarthy era hype and propaganda was not true. But it did build a great following.

Anything that can be claimed to threaten America will have a great following whether it be true or false. In the current situation it is now obvious that the American people were, and continue to be, lied to.

Bush's recent speeches all have common threads regarding Iraq. Those threads were not present in previous speeches relating to Iraq, nor present in the speeches giving the original reasons why we should invade Iraq.

Bush has flipped flopped from; WMD, to Freedom for the Iraqi people, to "we are now engaged in a global war against terrorism."

Crap, the global war against terrorism started on 9/11. And it should have been pursued in a manner that would have alleviated the problem.

All invading Iraq has accomplished is to stir up a hornets nest of islamic fundamentalism which has greatly intensified the problem that we were originally facing. We have reached the point where we no longer even have Afghanistan under control and we don't have enough troops to do anything about it.

We are spending billions of dollars borrowed from countries around the world. And with all of this, there is no guarantee that we will protect the American people against anything!

Last edited by a moderator:

SOS2008

Gold Member
edward said:
Bush has flipped flopped from; WMD, to Freedom for the Iraqi people, to "we are now engaged in a global war against terrorism."
This makes me want to puke. I see it now, the new fad weight-loss program called Bush Bulimia. :yuck:

kyleb said:
Huh, here I was thinking of that as an example of why we should stand against the use of propaganda.
Yeah, that was kinda the point. My intention though was to show that Bush hardly makes for the most egregious use of propaganda. While it may be worse than what we have seen in a while it's definitely no world record. I don't agree with it's use but neither do I agree with exagerating ones claims.

edward said:
The original propaganda machine wasn't started by a president's administration. History has shown that much of the McCarthy era hype and propaganda was not true. But it did build a great following.
The most insideous aspect of this particular campaign was that it was against an idea. It made little differance where you were from or the colour of your skin. It practically didn't even matter what you had done. All that matter was what your political/philosophical ideaology was. All you had to do was lean to far left then you might have found yourself being investigated and shunned by your neighbors.