Safety and legality of carbon-11

In summary, carbon-11 is extremely radioactive and harmful, but can be safely handled with proper casing and equipment. It is illegal to possess or distribute in most cases.
Vardaan Bhat
This is a pretty self-explanatory question; I was wondering how safe carbon-11 is for human beings; is it extremely radioactive and harmful, or safe for the average Joe to handle with the right casing/equipment. Furthermore, is owning this isotope illegal/highly regulated, or can people easily purchase or distribute it? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that it has a half life of 20 minutes, it's not like you can order it out of a catalog.

Vanadium 50 said:
Given that it has a half life of 20 minutes, it's not like you can order it out of a catalog.
I've got three words for you, "Amazon Prime" and "Drone" :smile:
Vardaan Bhat said:
This is a pretty self-explanatory question; I was wondering how safe carbon-11 is for human beings; is it extremely radioactive and harmful, or safe for the average Joe to handle with the right casing/equipment. Furthermore, is owning this isotope illegal/highly regulated, or can people easily purchase or distribute it? Thanks!
So, what are you want to do with it?

Likes Garlic
Vardaan Bhat said:
Furthermore, is owning this isotope illegal/highly regulated, or can people easily purchase or distribute it?

Within 1 hour, whatever carbon-11 you have will have gone through 3 half-lives, leaving 1/8th of the original amount. After 2 hours you'll have 1/64th left. I doubt there are any vendors beyond some very specialized ones with access to a particle collider.

Drakkith said:
Within 1 hour, whatever carbon-11 you have will have gone through 3 half-lives, leaving 1/8th of the original amount. After 2 hours you'll have 1/64th left. I doubt there are any vendors beyond some very specialized ones with access to a particle collider.
I have 3 words for you, "Amazon Prime" and "Collider"...

Likes OCR
Sorry, I don't know what you're getting at, Berk.

Just some humor...

Likes OCR
V50 put me up to it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Besides, we all want to know that the heck the OP wants this material for...

I'd also be interested in the prize ;-).

It is produced in accelerators as isotope for PET scans, but with its short half-life you have to produce and use it directly on site. The amount produced is tiny, you cannot sell it in any market-like environment, and everyone involved in the chain of handling it has proper training. The patient has not, of course, but they don't get dangerous doses.

I'm also curious how that question came up.

Likes vanhees71

What is carbon-11 and why is it important in terms of safety and legality?

Carbon-11 is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is used in medical imaging and research. It is important in terms of safety and legality because it has potential health hazards and is regulated by government agencies.

How is carbon-11 used in medical imaging?

Carbon-11 is used in PET (positron emission tomography) scans to create images of the inside of the body. It is injected into the body and emits positrons, which can be detected and used to create 3D images of organs and tissues.

What are the safety precautions when handling carbon-11?

When handling carbon-11, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and lab coats, to minimize exposure. The amount of carbon-11 used should also be carefully measured and regulated to prevent overexposure.

Is carbon-11 safe for medical use?

Yes, carbon-11 is considered safe for medical use when handled and administered properly. The amount of radiation exposure from a PET scan using carbon-11 is minimal and the benefits of the scan often outweigh the potential risks.

Are there any legal regulations surrounding the use of carbon-11?

Yes, the use of carbon-11 is regulated by government agencies such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) in the United States. These regulations include licensing requirements, safety protocols, and record-keeping to ensure the safe handling and disposal of the isotope.