Vietnam War: My Lai Massacre & Beyond

• News
  • Thread starter denverdoc
  • Start date
In summary, the media downplays the atrocities committed by US troops in Iraq. There is a disturbing tendency in the reporting.
denverdoc said:
Two weaknesses of Demo. Now! : a soft spot for conspiracy theory and weak science reporting at times. But some/many of these conspiracy stories seem to have foundation.

If they miss one on occasion, they are doing their job. If they never miss one, than it would be the mass media all over again. You look at Rather, everyone knows he got the story right, if not all the details, then went looking for alternative sources when the official ones "disappeared," and is hung up to dry.
True, but I would rather get my news from sources that have a clear, defined agenda.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats the problem in my view--most other sources have very clear, well defined agendae--make $$, avoid controversy.

denverdoc said:
Thats the problem in my view--most other sources have very clear, well defined agendae--make $$, avoid controversy.
Another problem is that the right-wingers on hate radio and the blogosphere keep up a steady drumbeat of "liberal media", when in fact the the national media are actually quite complacent and generally allow the radical neo-cons a free ride. Note that they didn't show Clinton that kind of deference when he was having his "troubles". The "liberal media" is a myth used to deflect attention away from any bad news by disparaging the messenger. I would prefer to see a few news outlets adopt progressive agendas to help balance out the many right-wing outlets and the eviscerated PBS and commercial networks.

turbo-1 said:
Another problem is that the right-wingers on hate radio and the blogosphere keep up a steady drumbeat of "liberal media", when in fact the the national media are actually quite complacent and generally allow the radical neo-cons a free ride. Note that they didn't show Clinton that kind of deference when he was having his "troubles". The "liberal media" is a myth used to deflect attention away from any bad news by disparaging the messenger. I would prefer to see a few news outlets adopt progressive agendas to help balance out the many right-wing outlets and the eviscerated PBS and commercial networks.

Countdown with Keith Olbermann fits the bill nicely in my opinion. While it's only one hour, his special comments segments he does every now and then is quite interesting and thought provoking.

Back