Satellite Weapons | Dark Rivers of the Heart Spoiler

• Thread starter GTOM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, satellite weapons are weapons that are launched into space and can attack targets on Earth using advanced technology and remote control. They work by using energy beams or projectiles and have both military and civilian applications. The legality of these weapons is a controversial topic, but there are international treaties that prohibit the placement and use of weapons of mass destruction in space. While there have been reports of their development and testing, there is no confirmed evidence of their use in warfare. However, satellites have been used as weapons in the form of anti-satellite weapons.
GTOM
Just finished reading Dark rivers of the heart.(SPOILER AHEAD)

Personally i found the ending pretty much irrealistic, i don't think that on contemporary tech level, a satellite laser could do any serious harm to a person.

However satellites that can identify terrorists and even penetrate the atmosphere with ray weapons is a common sf trope.

But what could the power requirements for the later? I guess only low orbit sats could do such things, fire from geo orbit would require even bigger magnitude of power.

I also wonder about the more realistic option of tracking persons and vehicles. As far as i know face recognition is very challenging, either extreme size of telescope is required, or make many many images from different angles and transform them to a higher res image.
But could a vehicle disappear in the wilderness, once it is tracked?
Can sats see through thick clouds without radar?

Physics news on Phys.org
GTOM said:
Just finished reading Dark rivers of the heart.
I have not read - so I will respond only to what you post. I am not sure what you mean by "contemporary tech level".
GTOM said:
i don't think that on contemporary tech level, a satellite laser could do any serious harm to a person.
Is this stuff in production or just in the lab. Clearly, no such satellites are in orbit now. The devices that are seen in some videos shooting down drones from a couple of miles away, are fairly heavy devices. Still, in some ways, space is more flexible. Sources of vibration are more controllable. Mirrors will not be warped by their supports and 1G of gravity. So a large reflector can be more easily targeted.
As far as the mass of those devices, they could be sent up in pieces - reflector, laser, power storage, solar arrays.
As to whether they could do serious harm to a person, people are pretty fragile. If you can get a few kilowatts on target for a few seconds, that will ruin someones day.
GTOM said:
But what could the power requirements for the later? I guess only low orbit sats could do such things, fire from geo orbit would require even bigger magnitude of power.
Yes, definitely low orbit.
GTOM said:
I also wonder about the more realistic option of tracking persons and vehicles. As far as i know face recognition is very challenging, either extreme size of telescope is required, or make many many images from different angles and transform them to a higher res image.
"Tracking" has limitations from low orbit. You will only have the target within your horizons for a few minutes. So you would need to track from geo-synchronous orbit. I will leave it up to others to determine how large an aperture you would need to track a car-size object from geo orbit.
GTOM said:
But could a vehicle disappear in the wilderness, once it is tracked?
Do you mean traveling under a canopy? Seeing through canopy is a significant challenge. So would shooting a DEW through canopy.
GTOM said:
Can sats see through thick clouds without radar?
I don't believe there are any "non-radar" wavelengths used with satellite remote sensing that can see through a cumulonimbus.

Last edited:
Likes GTOM

I agree with you that the ending of Dark Rivers of the Heart was somewhat unrealistic. While satellite technology has advanced significantly, I find it hard to believe that a satellite laser would be able to cause serious harm to a person. However, as you mentioned, the idea of satellites being used for surveillance and even weapons is a common trope in science fiction.

I'm not sure about the exact power requirements for a satellite to have the capability to identify and attack individuals. It would likely require a significant amount of energy and resources. As for tracking individuals and vehicles, I think that is definitely a more realistic use of satellite technology. Face recognition may be challenging, but with the advancements in AI and machine learning, it is becoming more accurate and efficient.

In terms of tracking a vehicle in the wilderness, it would depend on the terrain and conditions. Satellites can certainly track movement and location, but if the vehicle is hidden under thick foliage or in a cave, it may be more difficult for the satellite to detect it.

As for seeing through thick clouds, it would depend on the type of satellite and its capabilities. Some satellites are equipped with advanced radar technology that can penetrate through clouds and other obstacles, while others may not have that capability. It also depends on the thickness and composition of the clouds. Overall, satellite technology has advanced significantly, but there are still limitations and challenges to consider.

1. What are satellite weapons?

Satellite weapons are weapons that are launched into orbit and operated from a satellite. They can include a variety of weapons, such as lasers, missiles, and electromagnetic pulse (EMP) weapons.

2. How do satellite weapons work?

Satellite weapons use advanced technology to target and attack specific locations on Earth. They can be controlled remotely by operators on the ground or can operate autonomously.

3. What is the purpose of satellite weapons?

The purpose of satellite weapons can vary, but they are often used for military purposes, such as surveillance, communication, and defense. They can also be used for offensive purposes, such as launching attacks on enemy targets.

4. Are satellite weapons currently being used?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as the use of satellite weapons is often kept secret. However, it is known that some countries, such as the United States, Russia, and China, have developed and tested satellite weapons.

5. How do satellite weapons relate to the novel "Dark Rivers of the Heart"?

In the novel, satellite weapons play a significant role in the plot as a powerful and dangerous technology that is sought after by various groups. The main character, Spencer Grant, must navigate this world of satellite weapons and their potential consequences.