1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Say you failed a class

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    but you decide to retake those classes to replace the failing grade. you decide you want to attend graduate school.t will graduate admission committees take only the grade that replaced the failing grade into account or will the graduate committees count both the failing grade and the grade that replaced the failig grade

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nearly all schools disclose only the grade you got the second time around, though some do note on the transcript that it was a repeat. You should check with your school's registrar to see how they handle it.

- Warren

4. Dec 16, 2007 #3
    what do you mean disclose? They do not acknowledge the grade you got the second time around?

5. Dec 16, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I mean most schools generally will not tell anyone what you got the first time; they will only print the grade from the second time.

- Warren

6. Dec 16, 2007 #5
    Ive heard of schools not counting the first grade into the gpa and only counting the retake grade, but if not always are both grades on the transcript.

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    At my undergrad school, both grades showed up on the transcript, but only the higher grade was counted in calcuating GPA.

...in case you're wondering how I know, I have two words: organic chemistry.

8. Dec 18, 2007 #7
    You'll probably have to look into it. At my school there's a note on my transcript that I retook a class but my mark doesn't count towards my GPA. Other schools are different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?