Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar potential for magnetic field

1. Mar 29, 2015 #1
    I have that ∇2∅ = 0 everywhere. ∅ is a scalar potential and must be finite everywhere.
    Why is it that ∅ must be a constant?

I'm trying to understand magnetic field B in terms of the Debye potentials: B = Lψ+Lχ+∇∅. I get this from C.G.Gray, Am. J. Phys. 46 (1978) page 169. Here they found that Lχ=0 and ∇∅=0 and therefore gives no contribution to B.

any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all the Debye decomposition of an arbitrary vector field is given as
    $$\vec{V}=\vec{L} \psi + \vec{\nabla} \times (\vec{L} \chi)+\vec{\nabla} \phi.$$
    By definition
    $$\vec{L}=\vec{x} \times \vec{\nabla}.$$
    First of all you have
    $$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{V}=0,$$
    because
    $$\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{L} \psi)=\partial_j (\epsilon_{jkl} r_k \partial_l \psi)=\epsilon_{jkl} (\delta_{jk} \partial_l \psi +r_k \partial_j \partial_l \psi)=0$$
    and
    $$\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{L} \chi)=0.$$
    For the magnetic field you additionally have the absence of magnetic charges,
    $$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0.$$
    This implies
    $$\Delta \phi=0$$
    everywhere. With the appropriate boundary conditions this implies that ##\phi=0## everywhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook