1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar product used for length?

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    I got asked how the scalar product can be used to find the length of a vector? Could someone please explain

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean vector product, also called the dot product?

V°V = |V|^2.

Or do you mean the triple scalar product:

|A°BxC|= volume of the parallelepiped with three sides defined by A,B,C.

If it is the triple scalar product you will need more information to obtain a vectors length - but the dot product provides it immediately.

4. Oct 21, 2013 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

To my knowledge, the vector product and the dot product are never given the same meaning. The vector product yields a vector quantity; the dot product yields a scalar quantity.

I'm not sure how one could use the scalar product to find the length of an arbitrary vector -- it seems like a redundant question to me. Do you know how to find the magnitude of a vector?

5. Oct 21, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are many vector products: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VectorMultiplication.html

Two of those listed above result in a scalar. I was trying to determine which one he was referring to; the OPs language was ambiguous.

The vector inner product (dot product) is the obvious method.

But the original requestor has disappeared ... so the problem is dead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted