1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scale drawing with Cartesian solution and Polar representation

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1

1. My teacher gave us a drawing with 4 vectors on it. Vector A = 130 N and is at a 20 degree angle. Vector B = 100 N and is at a 70 degree angle. Vector C = 70 N and is on the x-axis. Vector D = 50 N and is at a 10 degree angle. Given this picture we are told to draw an accurate scale drawing with appropriate scale and measurements, complete the Cartesian solution, complete the polar representation and provide a percent discrepancy.

2. How do I approach the Cartesian solution from this picture? What exactly is the Cartesian solution? I was absent from the class he explained this and just have notes that do not exactly explain well what I should be doing. Also what are "i hats" and "j hats"?

3. I was able to complete the first step by making a drawing using a scale of 1 cm = 15 N. Now I am unsure of what to do for the Cartesian solution and how to approach that from here.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi mmd123! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Cartesian means use Cartesian coordinates, which is just a fancy way of saying use perpendicular (x and y or i and j) coordinates. :wink:

So just add all the x's and y's (separately).

ihat and jhat are the unit vectors (that is, the vectors of length 1) in the i and j directions (the x and y directions). :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?