Scaling down a table saw miter gauge

In summary, the conversation is about building a table saw miter gauge at a 1/4 to 1/8 scale with a budget of $50, preferably under $25. The main concern is how to create the handle assembly and sliding action, with suggestions to use old rollerblade bearings and drawer pulls. The person also mentions the possibility of using a Chinese made camera tripod with three screws as a cheaper alternative.
jamesson
I need to build a table saw miter gauge at about 1/4/-1/8 scale. The center axis of rotation seems pretty straightforward - I have many old rollerblade bearings - but I have no idea how to do the handle assembly (the cylindrical screw arrangement that locks and unlocks the angle) and the sliding action. I have drawer pulls, but they are a little too big for what I'm doing.

My top budget is $50 but I'd like to keep it under $25 if I can

Many thanks in advance for any help

Joe

EDIT:

Probably a little smaller than this

http://shop.prox-tech.com/p/micro-shaper-mp-300?pp=125

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Google images 'thumb screws plastic head'
Does that help?
Go to a cheap shop and buy a Chinese made camera tripod for $2 that has three screws.

1. What is the purpose of scaling down a table saw miter gauge?

Scaling down a table saw miter gauge allows for more precise and accurate cuts on smaller workpieces. It also allows for better control and stability while cutting.

2. How do I scale down a table saw miter gauge?

To scale down a table saw miter gauge, you will need to adjust the angle and length of the fence. This can be done by loosening the screws that hold the fence in place and moving it closer to the blade. You may also need to adjust the angle of the miter gauge itself.

3. What tools do I need to scale down a table saw miter gauge?

You will need a wrench or screwdriver to loosen and tighten the screws on the miter gauge and fence. You may also need a protractor or angle finder to ensure the correct angle is set.

4. Is scaling down a table saw miter gauge necessary for all projects?

No, scaling down a table saw miter gauge is not necessary for all projects. It is only necessary when working with smaller pieces that require more precise cuts. For larger pieces, the standard size miter gauge will suffice.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when scaling down a table saw miter gauge?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with power tools. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and keep your hands and fingers away from the blade at all times. Also, make sure the saw is turned off and unplugged before making any adjustments to the miter gauge.