Scaling of the vertical projectile problem nondimensionalization

In summary, the problem asks for a function f(e) that gives the approximate solution accurate up to order O(1) and O(e), where r is a small dimensionless parameter.
reb659

Homework Statement

Restate the vertical projectile problem in a properly scaled form. (suppose x<<R).

d2x/dt^2=-g(R^2)/(x+R)^2

Initial conditions: x(0)=0, dx(0)/dt=VoFind the approximate solution accurate up to order O(1) and O(e), where r is a small dimensionless parameter. (i.e. the solution is given by a function f(e)).

Hint: Suppose 1/(1-e) is a term involving the small parameter e (i.e. e<<1) in the dimensionless equation, do the taylor expansion 1/(1-e)=1+e+...If we approximate 1(1-e) by 1 in the equation then we will obtain the O(1) solution, if we approximate 1/(1-e) by 1+e in the equation, we will obtain the O(e) solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I properly nondimensionalized the equation, getting the following:

d2y/dT^2=-K/(y+1)^2 where K = gR/Vo^2.

Now, as for the O(1) and O(e) stuff, I am completely baffled as to what the problem is asking for. Can someone please explain to me what exactly I am supposed to be doing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think they want you to do a series expansion of 1/(y+1)^2, so you get something like

[tex] \frac{1}{(y+1)^2} = a + by + cy^2 +... [/tex]
where a, b & c are constants

the differential equation then becomes
[tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dT^2} = -\frac{K}{(y+1)^2} \approx -K(a + by + cy^2 +...) [/tex]

the O(1) case is equavalent to constant gravity, as it negelcts all term O(y) and above
[tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dT^2} = -\frac{K}{(y+1)^2} \approx -K(a) + O(y) [/tex]

the O(y) case includes the first order change, and neglects the terms O(y^2) and above
[tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dT^2} = -\frac{K}{(y+1)^2} \approx -K(a + by) + O(y^2) [/tex]

note this is possible because generally y<<1, so the contribution of y^n terms dcreases rapidly with increasing n

I actually redid the nondimensionalization part and it was correct, but not properly scaled which explains why I didn't get a term that was <<1. The correctly scaled nondimensional equation is d2Y/dT^2=-1/(1+eY)^2 where e<<1.

It doesn't really change though, I still don't see where the 1/(1-e) comes into play. When the problem statement says "the solution is given by a function f(e)", do they mean that O is a function of epsilon alone? I'm having trouble seeing what exactly O is - is it a solution Y to the differential equation or simply the right hand side of the differential equation after you taylor expand it?

Last edited:
i haven't checked with ur derivation of the differntial equation... if ur happy with it, stick with it...

O actually means something about how one sequence "dominates" another... but i wouldn't bother going into it that far...

Though not exactly correct, I always just took "O" to mean order.. so if you cut off your sequence at O(1), that means the order of the terms neglected are of the order of x or O(x) ...

As x<<1, the order of x is << that of 1, simalarly O(x^2)<<O(x) and so on...

So O is just the order of the taylor approximation that replaces the right hand side?

Last edited:
Yep, so in my first post for the O(1) case, you neglect all terms O(y) and above... and so on

1. What is the vertical projectile problem?

The vertical projectile problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air with an initial velocity and experiences only the force of gravity. It is an idealized scenario that is often used to teach fundamental principles of motion and mechanics.

2. What is scaling in the context of the vertical projectile problem?

Scaling is the process of making a problem or equation easier to solve by changing the units of measurement or the variables involved. In the context of the vertical projectile problem, scaling can be used to simplify the equations and make them more manageable.

3. Why is nondimensionalization important in the scaling of the vertical projectile problem?

Nondimensionalization is important because it allows us to eliminate unnecessary parameters and focus on the key factors that affect the motion of the projectile. By removing units and scaling the variables, we can simplify the equations and gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles at play.

4. How is the vertical projectile problem nondimensionalized?

The vertical projectile problem can be nondimensionalized by scaling the variables of time, distance, and velocity with appropriate constants. This results in dimensionless parameters, such as the time of flight and maximum height of the projectile, which can be used to analyze the motion of the projectile without the need for specific values of mass, gravity, or initial velocity.

5. What are the benefits of nondimensionalization in the scaling of the vertical projectile problem?

Nondimensionalization allows for a more general and simplified analysis of the vertical projectile problem. It also makes it easier to compare and generalize results for different projectiles, as the equations are not dependent on specific values. Additionally, it can reveal important relationships and trends that may not be apparent in the original dimensional form of the equations.