Was the Faith Based Initiative a Political Scam?

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
In summary: I can't even. This is just sick! Having them weep for salvation...ugh.I saw some exceprts on CNN - it made my blood boil to see little kids being brainwashed and sacrificed to this insanity.A new book just out, Tempting Faith, Written by David Kuo claims that the Faith Based Initiative was all politics and no substance. There are a number of clips on "You Tube" from the Olberman program. A series of videos about the book unveils how the religious right was used for political advantage.In summary, the author of the new book, Tempting Faith, alleges that the Faith Based Initiative was nothing more than a political ploy by the Bush administration. There are a number of
edward
A new book just out, Tempting Faith, Written by David Kuo claims that the Faith Based Initiative was all politics and no substance. There are a number of clips on "You Tube" from the Olberman program. A series of videos about the book unveils how the religious right was used for political advantage.

http://[MEDIA=youtube

http://[MEDIA=youtube

Kuo was also on CBS 60 minutes on Sunday evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is also a movie out about something like "Jesus Camp" which recruits young evangelicals as part of a plan to place them in political positions in order to take back America and make it a 'Christian' nation.

Film Shows Youths Training to Fight for Jesus
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2455343&page=1
Sept. 17, 2006 — An in-your-face documentary out this weekend is raising eyebrows, raising hackles and raising questions about evangelizing to young people.

Speaking in tongues, weeping for salvation, praying for an end to abortion and worshipping a picture of President Bush — these are some of the activities at Pastor Becky Fischer's Bible camp in North Dakota, "Kids on Fire," subject of the provocative new documentary, "Jesus Camp."

"I want to see them as radically laying down their lives for the gospel as they are in Palestine, Pakistan and all those different places," Fisher said. "Because, excuse me, we have the truth."

"A lot of people die for God," one camper said, "and they're not afraid."
So religious fundamentalism (and possibly terrorism) is being encouraged in the US?!

Jesus Camp
http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/jesuscamp/
A growing number of Evangelical Christians believe there is a revival underway in America that requires Christian youth to assume leadership roles in advocating the causes of their religious movement.

Astronuc said:
There is also a movie out about something like "Jesus Camp" which recruits young evangelicals as part of a plan to place them in political positions in order to take back America and make it a 'Christian' nation.
I saw some exceprts on CNN - it made my blood boil to see little kids being brainwashed and sacrificed to this insanity.

edward said:
A new book just out, Tempting Faith, Written by David Kuo claims that the Faith Based Initiative was all politics and no substance.
I saw him interviewed and he was upset that not enough money was given to religious organizations. His criticism of Bush was that he didn't produce all of the money and support he promised the religious institutions and that Bush should be criticized for not producing more of what he promised. :bugeye:

"David Kuo is an evangelical Christian and card-carrying member of the religious right, who got a job in the White House in the president’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/14/60minutes/main2089778.shtml

Last edited:
Evo said:
I saw him interviewed and he was upset that not enough money was given to religious organizations. His criticism of Bush was that he didn't produce all of the money and support he promised the religious institutions and that Bush should be criticized for not producing more of what he promised. :bugeye:

He was just on The Colbert Report last night saying this as well, unless that is where you saw it. For those interested on what he said:

Last edited by a moderator:
The other side of the 'faith-based initiative' story is that some (many/most/all?) so-called 'liberal' religions (including liberal Christian) have been excluded, i.e. the money Bush was apparently promising (or that Karl Rove was arranging) was going to particular religious organizations.

I can see given money to all or to none, but to select a few, which just happen to support a particular political party or person seems to be a violation of the separation of church and state. Effectively the White House, or administration, is sponsoring particular religious groups, which in turn provide political support.

Evo said:

"David Kuo is an evangelical Christian and card-carrying member of the religious right, who got a job in the White House in the president’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/14/60minutes/main2089778.shtml

Exactly, and my point was that the Bush administration has missled, and in essence even scammed his own religious right to win votes.

Astronuc said:

Film Shows Youths Training to Fight for Jesus
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2455343&page=1
So religious fundamentalism (and possibly terrorism) is being encouraged in the US?!

Jesus Camp
http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/jesuscamp/

For one thing these children are too young to be forced into that kind of an emotional state. Having them worship before a life size image of George Bush crosses the line by getting into politics. Their tax exempt status should be pulled.

Interviews
Former Bush Assistant: GOP Deceived Christians
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6326056
Morning Edition, October 19, 2006 · David Kuo is the author of Tempting Faith, a book about why he left his job as a special assistant to President Bush in the Office of Faith Based Initiatives. Kuo criticizes the administration for taking unfair advantage of conservative Christian voters.

Linda Wertheimer talks to Kuo about why he concluded that President Bush and the Republican Party have deceived conservative Christians.
I don't think Bush necessarily deceived them.

1. How do people scam the religious right?

There are several ways in which people may attempt to scam the religious right. One common method is by creating fake religious organizations or charities and soliciting donations from unsuspecting members of the religious community. Another way is by making false promises of spiritual healing or blessings in exchange for money. Additionally, scammers may also use religious language or symbols to manipulate and deceive individuals into giving them money or personal information.

2. Why is the religious right a target for scammers?

The religious right is often seen as a vulnerable and trusting group, making them an attractive target for scammers. Many members of the religious right have a strong belief in the power of faith and may be more likely to trust individuals who claim to be representatives of a religious organization or have a special connection to a higher power. This can make them more susceptible to falling for scams that use religious language or promise spiritual benefits.

3. What are some red flags to look out for when it comes to scams targeting the religious right?

Some red flags to watch out for include unsolicited requests for money or personal information, promises of spiritual blessings or healings in exchange for money, and pressure to make quick decisions. It is also important to do research and verify the legitimacy of any religious organizations or charities before donating.

4. How can individuals protect themselves from falling for scams targeting the religious right?

One way to protect oneself is by being cautious and skeptical when approached with requests for donations or promises of spiritual benefits. It is important to do research and verify the legitimacy of any religious organizations or individuals before giving money or personal information. Additionally, individuals can stay informed about common scams and report any suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities.

5. What can religious organizations do to prevent their members from being scammed?

Religious organizations can help protect their members from scams by educating them about common scams and how to spot red flags. They can also implement policies and procedures for handling donations and ensuring that all funds are properly accounted for and used for their intended purposes. It is also important for religious leaders to be aware of any individuals or organizations claiming to represent their community and to verify their legitimacy before endorsing them.