Scariest movies you ever watched

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, the scariest movies are those that are based in truth or that truly scare the crap out of the viewer.
Possible spoilers:I always remember watching 'Dead of Night' (1945) as a kid which made an impression, particularly the short story about the mirror.

The last 10-15 minutes of the Spanish movie '[Rec]' (2007) are pretty damn creepy.

'Le cabina' (1972), a short Spanish movie.Steve

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mothman Prophecies got me. Not sure why, but perhaps it was because you never get a good look at the ... whatever, so the imagination can takeover which is a far better persuader. Mothman avoids most of the usual horror tricks, which set off the BS alarm and spoil the effect.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi988872985/

stevebd1 said:
The last 10-15 minutes of the Spanish movie '[Rec]' (2007) are pretty damn creepy.

Good to see [Rec] getting mentioned... although I'm not a horror fan, it's a fine movie to say the least.

When i was 12 or so, i saw "It", and that clown and balloons filled with blood were kind of freaky. I thought the end (where it turns into a spider?) was lame, though. Event Horizon (1997) was pretty scary too.

The only movie that left me with a creepy feeling even after viewing it when i was older than 18, was Requiem For a dream (2000). That was seriously messed up. When i re-watched it a year later, i didn't get that same feeling at all, though.

By the way, I'm excluding gory-moments, of which there are plenty today, but the scene where Murphy is getting killed in Robocop wasn't very comfortable to see.

LennoxLewis said:
When i was 12 or so, i saw "It", and that clown and balloons filled with blood were kind of freaky. I thought the end (where it turns into a spider?) was lame, though. Event Horizon (1997) was pretty scary too.
If you watch it on borrowed VHS and - due to the fact that it is 4 hours long and comes on two tapes - you inadvertantly watch Part II first, followed by Part I...

it is not so scary.

Though it is quite confusing.

For me, I just watched the exorcist recently in the dead of the night and it scared the crap outta me. I wasn't able to get to sleep for the rest of the night.

It has got to be the scariest movie i ever watched.
I don't know, that one was just kind of boring.

I tell you what. I was scared after seeing Zeitgeist, and 1984. Those were scary.

mheslep said:
Mothman Prophecies got me. Not sure why, but perhaps it was because you never get a good look at the ... whatever, so the imagination can takeover which is a far better persuader. Mothman avoids most of the usual horror tricks, which set off the BS alarm and spoil the effect.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi988872985/

I expected the worst but that was a pretty decent movie. Very creepy to be sure!

Watched it twice now.

DaveC426913 said:
Not that I want to come down on you like a ton of bricks...
No offense taken.

DaveC426913 said:
...but you remind me of many people who seem to feel that movies are an opportunity for showing how clever they are.
Nah, I just really saw that coming way too easily.

DaveC426913 said:
They miss a point that everyone else gets intuitively. The act of watching a movie - for all but these types - is premised by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief" . Key word here being willing.

It is only partially the job of the audience to be open to the premise and suspend their doubts. It is the job of the movie to give the audience a reasonable excuse to sustain this.

For instance, in the Shining, the possibility is always there that everything we are seeing is the result of cabin fever.

I just thought that the Exorcist was not nearly as creepy as it was purported to be. However I have watched it more than once and the second viewing was better than the first.

Last edited by a moderator: