Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schematic Symbol Help? (SuperSID)

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    Hi, can anyone help me identify the big blue boxes' schematic symbol? The actual physical component sort of looks like a small inductor or oscillator.

SuperSID Schematic

The purpose of this circuit is to be a preamplifier for VLF signals related to ionospheric disturbances, I believe.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

FOIWATER

Gold Member

It's the symbol for a varistor, I assume it's for attenuating (resistor) transients and shunting (the varistor) transients. A surge protecting device?

My best guess, might not be correct though

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    Ok, that actually makes sense, the antenna I have connected will get big spikes from CRT monitors and even fluorescent lights if close enough. Probably some other stuff can cause bigger problems.

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Sep 7, 2013 #5
    Hmm, ok...so its kind of like a reusable fuse here? Like it opens a path to ground if current (thus temperature) gets to high? Sorry, I don't know much about electronics.

7. Sep 7, 2013 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what the A inputs are, but it looks like it's used as a temperature sensor to adjust for temperatures differences. (varying temperatures outdoors perhaps?)

From the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor link.

8. Sep 7, 2013 #7
    The A's are the antenna connections. It's a 1m "small loop" (primarily detects magnetic component of EM radiation) antenna suitable for detecting the transmitted VLF radio signals that are part of submarine communication networks.

The idea is that when a solar flare occurs, the ionosphere is disturbed which also disturbs this network. SID is sudden ionospheric disturbance; this is the second (super) version of a circuit developed by Stanford for mass distribution to high schools for the purpose of space weather education.

9. Sep 7, 2013 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Outstanding. What a fun way to learn. :thumbs:

10. Sep 7, 2013 #9
    Yes they had a lot of fun building the antenna and seeing the response of fluorescent lights and a CRT tv, and trying to find the VLF stations. I just wish I knew more about the circuit so I could I could explain it to them, heh. I understand at a basic level the circuit is just a preamp, and understand opamps somewhat, but that is about it.

11. Sep 8, 2013 #10

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They're clearly surge suppressors, one for normal mode and one common mode.

A 1 m^2 loop doesn't sound big, but nearby lightning strokes generate substantial electro-magnetic fields.
    I once returned from a vacation to find in my garage:

In my FM receiver two capacitor-looking devices that coupled the antenna leads were blown apart; they might have been suppressors I don't know for the receiver still worked but sensitivity was degraded.

My two magnetic compasses that i kept near the workbench had got their needles re-magnetized so the red ends pointed south instead of north.

I suspect this circuit designer has a similar experience under his belt...

12. Sep 8, 2013 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the correction Jim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook