Scholarpedia article on Bell's Theorem

In summary, the article is a biased overview of the many criticisms of Bell's theorem and does not provide an unbiased perspective.
audioloop said:
has been stated "correlations".
you can interpret bell in terms of shareability of correlations and abandon "local cfd" doctrine.

Maybe so, but Bell's original intention was to investigate the possibility of quantum mechanics being explainable in terms of a locally realistic theory, and for such a theory, CFD holds.

Physics news on Phys.org
billschnieder said:
What are you talking about? What did you think I was doing.

I have no idea. That's what I'm trying to find out.

stevendaryl said:
What are you arguing for?

Bill probably wants an admission he is right and everyone else is wrong. In the years I have gone around and around with him, I have never understood where he was driving on this point either. Glad you and Nugatory are doing this with him this time rather than me.

I have an entire list of links to papers "proving" Bell is wrong. If Bill ever wrote one, I could add that to my list. Instead... this.

stevendaryl said:
I have no idea. That's what I'm trying to find out.

No, I don't think you are interested. If you were, you would answer my simple question, which again is this:

stevendaryl said:
2. The correlations predicted by quantum mechanics do not obey that inequality.
Please spell out how you have arrived at this conclusion [your #2]. Write down the inequality and write down the correlations which violate the inequality, term by term.

I'm simply asking you to demonstrate what you claimed yourself in claim #2. What are you afraid of? If you do not understand the question, simply say so and I'll explain again. Bell's inequality has 3 terms. the CHSH has 4 terms. If you claim QM violates the inequality, then you must have 3 terms from QM to substitute in Bell's inequality or 4 terms from QM to substitute in the CHSH in other to demonstrate the violation. This is not rocket science. I'm asking you to provide ALL the three terms you used for Bell's inequality or ALL the 4 terms you used for the CHSH. You can't just write one term and fold your arms. Get it?

Nobody can honestly claim I've not been very clear about what I'm saying, especially after reading post #557. It is one thing to say you disagree with the claims in post #557. It is another thing completely to pretend they are not clear. You haven't even attempted to respond to it. Despite me explaining it clearly multiple times.

stevendaryl said:
Well, don't leave me hanging---what's the assumption? I didn't really get it from Bill's posts.

Because you did not read Bill's posts otherwise you would have seen this in post #521

billschnieder said:
In other words, if you insist on using the terms from QM and experiment to compare with the inequality, then you are making an extra assumption that the correlations in scenario X and Y are equivalent.

Now once you obtain a violation, it is this assumption that should be thrown out. As I have demonstrated already, those two scenarios are different without any non-locality or conspiracy, and such an assumption should never even be introduced if reasoning correctly.

Closed pending moderation.

<h2>1. What is Bell's Theorem?</h2><p>Bell's Theorem is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the incompatibility of certain fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as locality and realism. It also shows that quantum mechanics cannot be explained by any hidden variables, and that there is a fundamental randomness in the universe at the quantum level.</p><h2>2. Who discovered Bell's Theorem?</h2><p>Bell's Theorem was discovered by physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964. He published his findings in a paper titled "On the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox" in the journal Physics in 1964.</p><h2>3. What is the significance of Bell's Theorem?</h2><p>Bell's Theorem has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges the traditional view of causality and determinism, and has opened up new avenues for research in quantum mechanics and the foundations of physics.</p><h2>4. How does Bell's Theorem relate to the famous EPR paradox?</h2><p>Bell's Theorem was developed as a response to the EPR paradox, which was proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. The EPR paradox raised questions about the completeness and consistency of quantum mechanics, and Bell's Theorem provided a mathematical proof that showed the paradox was indeed correct.</p><h2>5. What are some practical applications of Bell's Theorem?</h2><p>Bell's Theorem has not yet been applied to any practical technologies or devices. However, it has been instrumental in shaping our understanding of quantum mechanics and has led to the development of new theories and experiments in the field. It has also been used to test the validity of quantum entanglement, which has potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.</p>

1. What is Bell's Theorem?

Bell's Theorem is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the incompatibility of certain fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics, such as locality and realism. It also shows that quantum mechanics cannot be explained by any hidden variables, and that there is a fundamental randomness in the universe at the quantum level.

2. Who discovered Bell's Theorem?

Bell's Theorem was discovered by physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964. He published his findings in a paper titled "On the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Paradox" in the journal Physics in 1964.

3. What is the significance of Bell's Theorem?

Bell's Theorem has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges the traditional view of causality and determinism, and has opened up new avenues for research in quantum mechanics and the foundations of physics.

4. How does Bell's Theorem relate to the famous EPR paradox?

Bell's Theorem was developed as a response to the EPR paradox, which was proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. The EPR paradox raised questions about the completeness and consistency of quantum mechanics, and Bell's Theorem provided a mathematical proof that showed the paradox was indeed correct.

5. What are some practical applications of Bell's Theorem?

Bell's Theorem has not yet been applied to any practical technologies or devices. However, it has been instrumental in shaping our understanding of quantum mechanics and has led to the development of new theories and experiments in the field. It has also been used to test the validity of quantum entanglement, which has potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.