Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger equation in gravitational field

1. Jul 31, 2006 #1
    I read article http://www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-850687-2.pdf
    There is described Schrodinger equation in gravitational field (1.10) and COW experiment.
    But once I found article, where it is shown that this Schrodinger equation is in direct contradiction with principle of equivalence.
    Can someone know this article or why it is this contradiction?
    Best regards
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2006 #2
  4. Jul 31, 2006 #3
    Maybe Kiefer. Once I found this article with the name.
  5. Jul 31, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Look, there's really nothing "special" about gravity IF you simply want to use that in the potential term of a schrodinger equation. Honest! The quantum effects of gravity has been observed![1]

What is currently the issue is the QFT description of gravity. This is different than "Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field".

[1] V.V. Nesvizhevsky et al. Nature v.415, p.297 (2002).
  6. Jul 31, 2006 #5
    Zapper, I understand this, I know that this is not quantum gravity.

But once I saw Schrodinger equation with homogenic gravitational field.
    Bellow It was explanation that mi is in denominator and mg is above in equation and this is not in accoradance with equivalence principle.
    I wish to remember, how precisely is this.

I am interested in disagreements of quantum theory and general relativity, not in solvatition of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?