Schrodinger equation in gravitational field

In summary, the Schrodinger equation in gravitational field describes the behavior of quantum particles in the presence of a gravitational force. It incorporates both the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to provide a comprehensive understanding of the dynamics of particles in a gravitational field. The equation takes into account the effects of gravity on the wave function, resulting in a more accurate description of the particle's behavior. This equation has been crucial in the study of quantum gravity and has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.
exponent137
I read article http://www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-850687-2.pdf
There is described Schrodinger equation in gravitational field (1.10) and COW experiment.
But once I found article, where it is shown that this Schrodinger equation is in direct contradiction with principle of equivalence.
Can someone know this article or why it is this contradiction?
Best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
exponent137 said:
I read article http://www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-850687-2.pdf
Can you tell us the source? There's no author or journal reference in the paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Kiefer. Once I found this article with the name.

Look, there's really nothing "special" about gravity IF you simply want to use that in the potential term of a schrodinger equation. Honest! The quantum effects of gravity has been observed![1]

What is currently the issue is the QFT description of gravity. This is different than "Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field".

Zz.

[1] V.V. Nesvizhevsky et al. Nature v.415, p.297 (2002).

Zapper, I understand this, I know that this is not quantum gravity.

But once I saw Schrodinger equation with homogenic gravitational field.
Bellow It was explanation that mi is in denominator and mg is above in equation and this is not in accoradance with equivalence principle.
I wish to remember, how precisely is this.

I am interested in disagreements of quantum theory and general relativity, not in solvatition of this.

Regards

1. What is the Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field?

The Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in a gravitational field. It is a modified version of the standard Schrodinger equation that takes into account the effects of gravity on the particle's motion.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation affected by gravity?

Gravity affects the Schrodinger equation by introducing an additional potential energy term, which takes into account the gravitational potential energy of the particle. This term is dependent on the mass of the particle, the strength of the gravitational field, and the distance of the particle from the source of the field.

3. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field?

The Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum particles in the presence of gravity. It helps us to predict the motion and energy levels of particles in a gravitational field, which is crucial for understanding various physical phenomena, such as black holes and the early universe.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field solved?

The Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field is typically solved using numerical methods, as it is a complex equation that cannot be solved analytically. These methods involve breaking down the equation into smaller, solvable parts and then combining the solutions to get an overall solution.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field be applied to macroscopic objects?

No, the Schrodinger equation in a gravitational field is only applicable to quantum particles. Macroscopic objects, such as planets and stars, are governed by classical mechanics and do not exhibit quantum behavior. However, the Schrodinger equation can be used to study the behavior of fundamental particles within these macroscopic objects.