Schrodinger equation solution when U>E

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a Schrodinger equation with different potential energies. When the potential energy is greater than the energy of the particle, there is only transmission and no reflection. The solution in this case is given by \Psi(x) = Be^{-\alpha x}, where \alpha = \sqrt\frac{2m[U(x)-E]}{\hbar^2}. When the potential energy is less than the energy of the particle, there is both reflection and incident part. The solution in this case is given by \Psi(x) = Ae^{+i\beta x}+Be^{-i\beta x}, where \beta =\sqrt\frac{2m[E-U(x)]}{\h
td21
Gold Member

Homework Statement

see attachment

Homework Equations

TISE

The Attempt at a Solution

a)When U>E
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi(x,t)}{d x^2}+U(x)\Psi(x)=E\Psi(x)[/tex]
leads to blahblahblah...(there is only transmittion no reflection as x to infty)
[tex]\Psi(x)=Be^{-\alpha x}[/tex], where [tex]\alpha = \sqrt\frac{2m[U(x)-E]}{\hbar^2}[/tex]This is the solution i work out, but how to "demostrate" it is a solution?

b)
Actually i don't know 2nd order ODE, so i try here:
when U<E, there will be reflection and incident part:
so [tex]\Psi(x)=Ae^{+i\beta x}+Be^{-i\beta x}[/tex],where[tex]\beta =\sqrt\frac{2m[E-U(x)]}{\hbar^2}[/tex]or[tex]\beta =\sqrt\frac{2m[U(x)-E]}{\hbar^2}[/tex]?
but in any case, the exponential is "complex", yielding the Cosine function,(but where does sine go?)?So U<E there?

c)from part b, [tex]\beta=10^{9}[/tex]
but i don't know whether [tex]\alpha =\beta [/tex] ??
but i just assume so and i calculate: U-E=5.56^-21 J
I would appreciate it if you could help me out esp. the question mark part. Thx!

Attachments

• phy.jpg
    phy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Well put it in the equation and see it it will give you something useful (usually if you put the solution in an equation, the condition set on it will be satisfied...).

See the i in the exponentials. If you rewrite them you'll get something real and something imaginary, right? And what does an imaginary solution means in the real world? :D

See what the conditions must be satisfied when solving Schrodinger. And then try to see how they affect your solutions :)

I'm sure that exist in Griffiths or similar books...

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is used to predict the probabilities of finding a particle in a certain position or state.

What is the significance of U>E in the Schrodinger equation solution?

U>E, also known as the energy eigenvalue, is a measure of the energy of a particle in a given system. In the context of the Schrodinger equation, U>E indicates that the particle has more energy than the potential energy of the system, which can have important implications for its behavior.

How is the Schrodinger equation solved when U>E?

When U>E, the Schrodinger equation is typically solved by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total wavefunction of a system is the sum of all individual wavefunctions. This allows for the possibility of multiple solutions to the equation, each with their own probability of occurrence.

What does it mean for a particle to have more energy than the potential energy of the system?

This means that the particle has enough energy to overcome any potential barriers within the system and can potentially escape or move freely. It also indicates that the particle is in an excited state, as it has more energy than the minimum required for it to exist in that particular system.

Can the Schrodinger equation solution be used to predict the exact behavior of a particle when U>E?

No, the Schrodinger equation solution provides probabilities of finding a particle in a certain state, rather than exact predictions. This is due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum systems, where the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known.