Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schrodinger Equation

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    So I've been looking online @ Schrodinger's Equation, but I still can't get a good grasp of what it's all about...
    All I know so far is that its part of quantum mechanics and that its solutions describe atomic and subatomic systems, electrons and atoms.. <---but what does that actually mean?

And I read that there were 2 variants...
    (And the simple English definition on Wikipedia is insufficient)

So.. what is the equation all about?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2
    Think Newtonian kinematics, then dynamics; then have another look.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    .. I'm still as confused as I started out to begin with...

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4
    Well, the wave-mechanical nature of classical objects, is used to formulate a wave-machanical description of "an electron's position and momentum' = kinematic and dynamic properties.

Start with linear motion (kinematics and dynamics), go through harmonic motion, end up with Schrodinger. It's about one undergrad Physics book worth (unless you're a quick study).
    You aren't usually introduced to the quantum and Schrodinger, until 2nd year, btw.
    At least in Chem or Phys you aren't (it's for the bigger kids)...

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5
    HAHA. O goodness. That's great. Because here I am sitting in highschool trying to make some sense out of this. Thanks for your help!

7. Feb 21, 2009 #6
    um...

Simply speaking, Schrodinger's equation is corresponding to "F=ma" at Newton mechanics.
    In other word, more difficultly say, it also corresponds to time generation equation at hamilton mechanics. Hamiltonian in Schrodinger's equation undertakes as time transform generator.

8. Feb 23, 2009 #7
    it is a partially differential equation in which the unknown variable is the wavefunction

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook