Schrodinger Equation

• Thread starter Dynamite
  • Start date
So I've been looking online @ Schrodinger's Equation, but I still can't get a good grasp of what it's all about...
All I know so far is that its part of quantum mechanics and that its solutions describe atomic and subatomic systems, electrons and atoms.. <---but what does that actually mean?

And I read that there were 2 variants...
(And the simple English definition on Wikipedia is insufficient)

So.. what is the equation all about?

Answers and Replies

Think Newtonian kinematics, then dynamics; then have another look.

.. I'm still as confused as I started out to begin with...

Well, the wave-mechanical nature of classical objects, is used to formulate a wave-machanical description of "an electron's position and momentum' = kinematic and dynamic properties.

Start with linear motion (kinematics and dynamics), go through harmonic motion, end up with Schrodinger. It's about one undergrad Physics book worth (unless you're a quick study).
You aren't usually introduced to the quantum and Schrodinger, until 2nd year, btw.
At least in Chem or Phys you aren't (it's for the bigger kids)...

HAHA. O goodness. That's great. Because here I am sitting in highschool trying to make some sense out of this. Thanks for your help!

um...

Simply speaking, Schrodinger's equation is corresponding to "F=ma" at Newton mechanics.
In other word, more difficultly say, it also corresponds to time generation equation at hamilton mechanics. Hamiltonian in Schrodinger's equation undertakes as time transform generator.

it is a partially differential equation in which the unknown variable is the wavefunction