Schrodinger's Cat - your opinions

In summary, the conversation is about the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment and its significance in physics. The original poster is writing a report on it and is asking for others' views on the experiment. They also mention the "measurement problem" and question the threshold of superpositions. Another participant brings up the ongoing debate between quantum mechanics and general relativity and advises the original poster to do a search on the topic instead of starting a philosophical discussion.
xDAW
Hello everyone,
I'm currently taking the EPQ, a qualification where the student is tasked to form a report of some kind. For mine, I'm writing a 5000 word report about the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment and what significance it holds in physics.
As part of my report, I want to include the views of others to illustrate any conflicting views between individuals and to aid in coming towards an overall conclusion at the end of the said report (of course I will be including my own as well, don't think I'm doing this to lessen my own work load).
So I ask of you just to give me your views on the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment in physics, saying if you think it holds any significance and why, or any problems with the experiment.
I myself am going to write my own views in the report, referencing to how that answers to the questions posed by Schrodinger's Cat of how long superpositions last and when they collapse, if they even collapse at all, depends on what interpretation of quantum mechanics you are going by. I know that many of interpretations of quantum mechanics have come about after Erwin's time, but surely this could affect the credibility and significance of the experiment in today's time?
Even if you decide not to reply to this, thank you very much for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tip: Schrödinger's Cat has been discussed here many many times. You might like to try the "Search" link at the top of the page. Use the "Search PF via Google" option.

The Schrodinger's cat experiment makes me wonder where the difference between the macroscopic, and QM worlds meet. I think that it can be called the 'measurment problem'. I think that when wondering as to the outcome of the cat, the ultimate question is instead; At what level do superpositions occur and at what level do they stop. Where is the threshold? And is their one?
I think that more specifcly. The ultimate question could become, "Is QM a complete description of reality?" Spoken by Einstein, in his long debate with Bell. In my mind, this is what the schodinger cat esperment is about, simply clarifying a problem in either QM or GR, or somewhere in between. I hope this helped, but I wouldn't be suprised if you knew all of this already. good luck!

As jtbell has stated, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Please do a search in this forum, which include several important papers published on this topic.

This also should not verge on a philosophical discussion, because it will be closed if it does. All philosophical discussion on this topic must be done in the Philosophy forum in accordance to the rules of that forum.

Zz.

1. What is Schrodinger's Cat?

Schrodinger's Cat is a thought experiment created by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935 to illustrate the concept of quantum superposition. It involves a cat in a sealed box with a vial of poison that may or may not be released based on the decay of a radioactive atom. The cat's fate is unknown until the box is opened, representing the uncertainty of quantum mechanics.

2. Is Schrodinger's Cat a real cat?

No, Schrodinger's Cat is a hypothetical concept used to explain quantum mechanics. It is not an actual cat and no animals were harmed in the creation of this thought experiment.

3. What does Schrodinger's Cat teach us about quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's Cat demonstrates that at the quantum level, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously. It also highlights the idea of measurement affecting the state of a particle and the concept of probability in determining the outcome of an event.

4. Can Schrodinger's Cat be applied to other situations?

Yes, the thought experiment has been used in various fields, including philosophy and popular culture. It can also be applied to other concepts in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and wave-particle duality.

5. What is your opinion on Schrodinger's Cat?

As a scientist, I find Schrodinger's Cat to be a fascinating and effective way to explain complex concepts in quantum mechanics. It has sparked many discussions and has helped further our understanding of the quantum world.