Schrodinger's equation for H atom Some questions

In summary, we can solve the Schrodinger equation for the fictive particles in the center-of-mass frame and then use a transformation to get the solutions for the actual particles. This allows us to calculate the charge and mass densities for the system.
McLaren Rulez
Hello,

I just finished learning how to solve the Schrodinger equation for the H atom and a few things trouble me.

1) The relative particle, CoM particle treatment: From what I understand, we are solving this for the case where the nucleus is taken to have mass m1+m2 and the electron has mass m1m2/(m1+m2), where m1 is the actual mass of the nucleus and m2 the actual mass of the electron. Am I correct in saying this? And isn't this going to cause an error?

2) Ignoring the nucleus: The wavefunction for the nucleus turns out to be a plane wave. Well, what I don't understand is why we ignore it. Shouldn't we add on that plane wave wavefunction at the end and multiply it to the solution of the wavefunction we get for the electron?

3) Suppose I could not make the first assumption. Let's say I had a system where m1 and m2 were comparable. Then what? How should I proceed?

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like in classical orbital mechanics, the two-body problem can be viewed in a center-of-mass frame where the problem reduced to an effective one-body problem. This can be done with particles of any mass.

You cannot describe the nucleus by means of a coulomb potential and schrodinger's equation, but relies on a different fundamental quantum field theory for it's description.

McLaren Rulez said:
1) The relative particle, CoM particle treatment: From what I understand, we are solving this for the case where the nucleus is taken to have mass m1+m2 and the electron has mass m1m2/(m1+m2), where m1 is the actual mass of the nucleus and m2 the actual mass of the electron. Am I correct in saying this? And isn't this going to cause an error?

This is normally not different than the Kepler problem in gravitostatics: the nucleus and the electron are replaced by 2 <fictive> particles, one of which is situated in the COM frame.

McLaren Rulez said:
2) Ignoring the nucleus: The wavefunction for the nucleus turns out to be a plane wave.

Not for the nucleus, but for the <fictive> particle situated in the COM frame.

McLaren Rulez said:
Well, what I don't understand is why we ignore it.

Out of convenience and because we're really interested in finding the discrete spectrum of the atom. A discrete energy spectrum is the trademark of quantization. The observables with completely continuous spectrum are known as <unquantized>.

McLaren Rulez said:
Shouldn't we add on that plane wave wavefunction at the end and multiply it to the solution of the wavefunction we get for the electron?

Indeed, the full solution is a product of solutions (the H-space is a product space anyways).

McLaren Rulez said:
3) Suppose I could not make the first assumption. Let's say I had a system where m1 and m2 were comparable. Then what? How should I proceed?

There's no difference. In this case, the assumption M_nucleus ---> infinity cannot be done, so the full solution must be found.

Thank you, dextercioby.

So now that we have the solutions for the two fictive particles, how do we get the solution for the actual two particles from there?

From a mathematical perspective, solving the problem for the 2 fictive particles is enough, as the 2 Hilbert spaces (real particles vs. fictive particles) are isomorphic.

McLaren Rulez said:
Thank you, dextercioby.

So now that we have the solutions for the two fictive particles, how do we get the solution for the actual two particles from there?

What dextercioby said above. However, if you want an explicit solution:

The kind of systems you're interested in have states that can be factored in an 'internal' state that describes the relative movement of the two components and an 'external' state that describes the system as a whole:

[tex]
\hat\rho = \hat{\rho}_\mathrm{ext} \otimes \hat{\rho}_\mathrm{int}.
[/tex]

For a pure state this can be expressed as the product of two wavefunctions:

[tex]\psi(\mathbf{x}_c,\mathbf{x}_r) = \psi_\mathrm{ext}(\mathbf{x}_c)\psi_\mathrm{int}(\mathbf{x}_r)[/tex],

where xc and xr signify the 'centre of mass' and the 'relative' translational degrees of freedom, respectively.

These can be expressed as a function of the translational degrees of freedom of the two component particles m1 and m2:

[tex]\mathbf{x}_1 = \mathbf{x}_c - \frac{\mu}{m}_1\mathbf{x}_r,[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{x}_2 = \mathbf{x}_c + \frac{\mu}{m}_2\mathbf{x}_r.[/tex]

Where [tex]\mu[/tex] is the reduced mass and xr is defined as x2 - x1.

This allows us to express the wavefunctions as

[tex]\psi_\textrm{ext}(\mathbf{x}_c) \equiv \psi_\textrm{ext}(\mathbf{x}_1,\mathbf{x}_2),[/tex]

[tex]\psi_\textrm{int}(\mathbf{x}_r) \equiv \psi_\textrm{int}(\mathbf{x}_1,\mathbf{x}_2).[/tex]

The Jacobian of this transformation is unity.

The density for particle 'i' will be given by

[tex]
\rho_i(\mathbf{x}) = \int \mathrm{d}^3\mathbf{x}_1 \mathrm{d}^3\mathbf{x}_2 \delta(\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}_i) \left|\psi_\mathrm{ext}(\mathbf{x}_1,\mathbf{x}_2)\right|^2 \left|\psi_\mathrm{int}(\mathbf{x}_1,\mathbf{x}_2)\right|^2,
[/tex]

and its {charge, mass} density by {[tex]q_i\rho_i(\mathbf{x})[/tex], [tex]m_i\rho_i(\mathbf{x})[/tex]}.
The total {charge, mass} density will be given by

[tex]\rho_m(\mathbf{x}) = m_1\rho_1(\mathbf{x}) + m_2\rho_2(\mathbf{x}),[/tex]
[tex]\rho_q(\mathbf{x}) = q_1\rho_1(\mathbf{x}) + q_2\rho_2(\mathbf{x}).[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is Schrodinger's equation for the hydrogen atom?

Schrodinger's equation for the hydrogen atom is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior and energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom.

2. Why is Schrodinger's equation important in the study of quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's equation is important in the study of quantum mechanics because it is used to calculate the probability of finding an electron in a particular energy state, which helps us understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

3. Does Schrodinger's equation only apply to the hydrogen atom?

No, Schrodinger's equation can be applied to other systems with similar properties to the hydrogen atom, such as one-electron ions or atoms with only one electron in the outermost shell.

4. How does Schrodinger's equation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. Schrodinger's equation takes this uncertainty into account by describing the electron in terms of a probability distribution rather than a specific path or trajectory.

5. Can Schrodinger's equation be solved exactly for more complex systems?

In most cases, Schrodinger's equation cannot be solved exactly for systems with more than one electron, making it necessary to use approximations and numerical methods to find solutions. However, there are a few rare cases where it can be solved exactly, such as the hydrogen molecular ion.