Science and math books with nice covers

In summary, serious science books tend to have boring and unattractive covers, with the exception of books related to the Universe. However, there are some books with interesting and beautiful covers, such as Deligne et al's "Quantum Fields and Strings" which features a funny and smart comic, and Schwartz's "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" which has a piece of modern abstract art. Other notable covers include those in Spivak's series, which feature abstract art and portraits of geniuses, and the series by Walter Greiner, designed by Emil Smejkal, which have Fauvist art. On the other hand, some covers, like Schroeder's "An Introduction to Thermal Physics
vanhees71 said:
Hm, isn't there too much color for a serious pure mathbook on it? :biggrin:
I propose that all serious book covers should be black with gray letters.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, and in pure-math books there must be no nice or even colored figures not to distract the reader from the serious business. Also should the mathematical axioms, definitions, propositions, lemmas, theorems, and proofs be presented in as boring a fashion as possible. Then it is completely anti-intellectual to introduce notations like arrows above vectors and the like. All this is only for stupid physicists not the advanced mathematician! The prime examples must be the texts written by Bourbaki and its members. :mad:

Likes atyy and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
Yeah, and in pure-math books there must be no nice or even colored figures not to distract the reader from the serious business. Also should the mathematical axioms, definitions, propositions, lemmas, theorems, and proofs be presented in as boring a fashion as possible. Then it is completely anti-intellectual to introduce notations like arrows above vectors and the like. All this is only for stupid physicists not the advanced mathematician! The prime examples must be the texts written by Bourbaki and its members. :mad:
:-D

They write in a bold font vectors, also some physicists write without arrows.

Likes vanhees71
MathematicalPhysicist said:
:-D

They write in a bold font vectors, also some physicists write without arrows.
Well, when I studied, I took a lot of math lectures with the mathematicians, and for them it was utmost a sin to use such mnemonics. All symbols were written in plain symbols, no matter what it was. Already in the Linear Algebra lecture it was quite unusual for us physicists. So when I did my problems, I first wrote it in the physicists' notation with all ornaments around the symbols to understand what I'm calculating. Then I translated the result into the mathematicians' notation.

The most awful thing with this respect was that in Hilbert-spaces they uses almost the Dirac notation (of course with round parantheses instead of left and right wedges), but they made the first argument of the scalar product linear and the 2nd one semilinear, which of course immediately obsoletes the almost ingenious automatism getting things right with the Dirac notation ;-)).

Of course, for the mathematicians the physicists' way to (over)simplify things must be also odd. My functional-analysis professor once stated that physicists come away with that almost always only, because the separable Hilbert space is allmost like a finite-dimensional complex vector space, but only almost, and that's why sometimes you have debates about eigenvectors of the position or momentum operator and the like, which simply lead to nonsense since a distribution is a distribution and not a function ;-)).

The fundamentals of physics 1 and 2 by R Shankar have nice covers

Likes atyy
re #23: so for the average student, the cat remains always alive?

Likes Demystifier
I like this cover:

20180103_142822.png

As we as the inner contents.

Attachments

• 20180103_142822.png
    20180103_142822.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,005
Likes kith, The Bill, Buffu and 1 other person
Another one that I found interesting:

20180103_154757.png

Attachments

• 20180103_154757.png
    20180103_154757.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 877
Likes The Bill and vanhees71
If computer science counts...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH36bUW3-jySBpdOPgtpVgjTK6WrlSXQDgj-Gd80YP7JRLR_KB.jpg

One of best books on the subject :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfKoGWJvLSY6TSFVVc2cp7rrnabO1kzd8OfwzlQBB0DW5pkCIb.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH36bUW3-jySBpdOPgtpVgjTK6WrlSXQDgj-Gd80YP7JRLR_KB.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH36bUW3-jySBpdOPgtpVgjTK6WrlSXQDgj-Gd80YP7JRLR_KB.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 810
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfKoGWJvLSY6TSFVVc2cp7rrnabO1kzd8OfwzlQBB0DW5pkCIb.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfKoGWJvLSY6TSFVVc2cp7rrnabO1kzd8OfwzlQBB0DW5pkCIb.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 729
Likes atyy, The Bill, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
One of my favorite covers is that of Fluid Dynamics for Physicists by T. E. Faber:
41ypAczURyL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Attachments

• 41ypAczURyL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    41ypAczURyL._SX347_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 828
Likes PhDeezNutz, Greg Bernhardt, atyy and 4 others
Yes, books on fluid mechanics often have nice covers, especially those for engineers.

lekh2003 said:
That is the evilest thing I can ever imagine.
I wonder if it says anything on the difficulty of the problems in this textbook?

Likes Demystifier
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I wonder if it says anything on the difficulty of the problems in this textbook?
I think my statement is a blanket statement on both the contents and cruel wrapping of the contents:wink:.

Likes vanhees71
9780199541423.jpg

Attachments

• 9780199541423.jpg
    9780199541423.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,200
Likes PhDeezNutz, dRic2, vanhees71 and 3 others
What about these books? For me, I think both covers and titles are simple but cool. Can you find any scientific book contains a "rude" word like that? :DD:DD:DD
About their contents: easy to read, good for freshmen or sophomore :biggrin:

Attachments

• savov1.PNG
    savov1.PNG
    80.5 KB · Views: 646
  • savov2.PNG
    savov2.PNG
    77.6 KB · Views: 665
Likes PhDeezNutz and Demystifier
cover.jpg

41t6rQ58%2BiL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

81egHLt4q3L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg

61wd6gTfgZL._CR0,62,375,375_UX175.jpg

1511510418?v=1.jpg

9781616100315-us-300.jpg

51-79dEIhgL._AC_US218_.jpg

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 947
  • 41t6rQ58%2BiL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    41t6rQ58%2BiL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 924
  • 1511510418?v=1.jpg
    1511510418?v=1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 912
  • 61wd6gTfgZL._CR0,62,375,375_UX175.jpg
    61wd6gTfgZL._CR0,62,375,375_UX175.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 910
  • 81egHLt4q3L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg
    81egHLt4q3L._AC_UL320_SR214,320_.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 924
  • 9781616100315-us-300.jpg
    9781616100315-us-300.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 880
  • 51-79dEIhgL._AC_US218_.jpg
    51-79dEIhgL._AC_US218_.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 881
@Laurie K that's an interesting evolution of the design, but which of those is supposed to be nice?

Likes atyy
Here's one that had an impact on me. It's a cusp catastrophe and says a lot about the Universe in my opinion. But of course the Universe is non-linear so I'm not too surprised. In the example on the cover, the cusp displays a catastrophe dealing with traffic flow, i.e. when a wreck occurs and the associated PDEs are non-linear which is to be expected.
basic pde covert.jpg

Attachments

• basic pde covert.jpg
    basic pde covert.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 971
This one depends on your definition of 'nice':
618leQTrdJL.jpg

Attachments

• 618leQTrdJL.jpg
    618leQTrdJL.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 869
Likes pinball1970 and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
@Laurie K that's an interesting evolution of the design, but which of those is supposed to be nice?
Demystifier, I used the 4th one down at uni (red leather look with silver lettering) in the 70's so I would have to say any of the others.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Demystifier and atyy
This is nicer in real life, much more colour

51TBXNJP37L.jpg

Attachments

• 51TBXNJP37L.jpg
    51TBXNJP37L.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 772
Likes vanhees71 and The Bill
51Zh%2BaXwmdL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Not only is this one of the coolest covers on any of textbooks I have, it is also the best book on classical mechanics that I have ever read!

• Love
Likes Demystifier, Greg Bernhardt and pinball1970
CJ2116 said:
View attachment 259408

Not only is this one of the coolest covers on any of textbooks I have, it is also the best book on classical mechanics that I have ever read!
How come you have not taken part in some of the interpretation threads?

pinball1970 said:
How come you have not taken part in some of the interpretation threads?
Do you have a link to a few of them?

To be honest, I'm not sure that I would have much (if anything) intelligent to contribute to the discussions, but I do really enjoy reading what other people have to say!

vanhees71 said:
Well, when I studied, I took a lot of math lectures with the mathematicians, and for them it was utmost a sin to use such mnemonics. All symbols were written in plain symbols, no matter what it was. Already in the Linear Algebra lecture it was quite unusual for us physicists. So when I did my problems, I first wrote it in the physicists' notation with all ornaments around the symbols to understand what I'm calculating. Then I translated the result into the mathematicians' notation.

The most awful thing with this respect was that in Hilbert-spaces they uses almost the Dirac notation (of course with round parantheses instead of left and right wedges), but they made the first argument of the scalar product linear and the 2nd one semilinear, which of course immediately obsoletes the almost ingenious automatism getting things right with the Dirac notation ;-)).

Of course, for the mathematicians the physicists' way to (over)simplify things must be also odd. My functional-analysis professor once stated that physicists come away with that almost always only, because the separable Hilbert space is allmost like a finite-dimensional complex vector space, but only almost, and that's why sometimes you have debates about eigenvectors of the position or momentum operator and the like, which simply lead to nonsense since a distribution is a distribution and not a function ;-)).
I just now seen your post.

Well also the definition of function differs between pure/applied mathematician and logicians.
Some argue that only single-valued mapping is a function, while others (mainly logicians) expand this notion for multi-valued functions and even partial functions.

There are quite a lot of definitions out there, and many books to read in maths, physics, engineering and logic. :oldbiggrin:

Likes vanhees71
CJ2116 said:
Do you have a link to a few of them?

To be honest, I'm not sure that I would have much (if anything) intelligent to contribute to the discussions, but I do really enjoy reading what other people have to say!
I'm not a physicist so I am out of depth on this.
I asked a question based on on my understanding and I thought it was something I could keep track of. Search strontium ion

Last edited:
I'm Greece, we use extensively books by the University of Crete publications. Their covers and binding are always gorgeous, minimalistic and similar in style to each other so they look great on a shelve. We can chose from a certain list of books that we can get from free, and many students pick the ones from UoC simply because of their aesthetic value lol.
You can browse their page here to see what I mean (I am referring mostly to the series of white books with colored outlines, though most of their other books also look pretty nice):
https://www.cup.gr/books/thetikes-epistimes/mathimatika/
https://www.cup.gr/books/thetikes-epistimes/fisiki/

Likes jasonRF