Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Science Facts Discovered in 2017

1. Jan 3, 2018 #26

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Maybe some are done, some cost money, and some are unpopular for other reasons.
    Just telling teachers you are trying something new and monitoring the progress can have a positive effect already.

I don't say he is wrong, but he should work on the way he presents his results, that might increase the acceptance of them.

2. Jan 3, 2018 #27

bhobba

Staff: Mentor

That is very possible. He is an academic and would have presented his results in academic journals. He has spoken to the media of course - that's why it has been reported - and quite frequently actually. That's why some schools trialed it - they were desperate and did it as a last resort - which itself speaks volumes. The thing is it worked. It should be opened up to even larger trials - and not just those so desperate they will try anything. But teachers will have to change their ways - changing how you do things is a lot harder than saying - give me smaller class sizes. So naturally it doesn't have the enthusiastic support of teachers - they always harp on easier things for them - like smaller class sized etc than how they teach. BTW this is not a criticism - its just natural human nature. I remember I had to change my ways when I went from a computer programmer in one government department to another. There walkthroughs where you are criticized by your peers was mandatory - it took some adjusting - and it wasn't exactly nice.

Thanks
    Bill

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted