Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific computing and efficient memory usage

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    Hi!

I wonder if it is possible to get some book recommendations on the subject of efficient data structures and memory management in scientific computing? I do a bit of parallel programming in C/C++ with MPI, and I'm now considering trying my hand at some GPU programming as well.

When working with large arrays there is the possibility of introducing memory bottlenecks, so I would like to learn a bit more about efficient data structures and memory management in the context of scientific computing.

Best regards
    Torquil

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

The main issue is the fact that ram memory throughput is greater when it's sequentially accessed or nearly so. How the cpu handles cache is another factor to consider.

There's a brief mention of this in a wiki article on merge sorting, not much detail, but it does contain links to other articles, such as locality of reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_sort#Optimizing_merge_sort

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook