Searching for software for logic optimization

In summary, the person has an unusual hobby project and is trying to find software that will fit the bill. They've Googled and found Logic Friday, but they don't have certain gates available and the software won't automatically generate a solution. They also have some gates that are not in the menu and might not be possible to use. They're considering using a CPLD, but they don't like getting into the specifics of their project.
TRan
I've got quite an unusual hobby project and so far, after couple of nights googling, I haven't found software that would fit the bill. I've got the truth table representing what I'd like to do and can minimize & map it to gates using Logic Friday.
The problem is, I don't have NOR or NAND available and Logic Friday won't map to gates without checking one of those as "available". Of course, I can construct those with the gates I have, so Logic Friday gives me a solution. Sadly, that solution is not very optimal because the program thinks that a NOR is just one gate, when in reality, I'd have to use a NOT and a OR.
Another issue is that I've got some gates(the prime offender being the ANDNOT (p & !q) ) that are not even listed in the menu to select. Therefore, i can't take advantage of those easily and even if i did, the result would probably be less than optimal.
With the problem size i have, i think i could write something that would brute force every combination of gates from a predefined set and output the one that produces the correct output with the least amount of gates, but i really don't feel like doing that if can avoid it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly are you attempting to do? It's rare these days to require complex assemblies of discreet gates; nearly anything you want can be done with a PIC, PICAxe or BASIC Stamp with just a little programming.

It's more like... I want to do things the hard way, it doesn't have to be efficient or even practical or anything like that. I still don't want to do unnecessary work, so I need to be economical about my gate usage.

Some of the following may help:

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/mastascu/eLessonsHTML/Logic/Logic2.html

Resurrecting this topic after my trip around the Baltic sea...
The link pretty much talks about how to get the best sum of products representation and how to implement it. That wasn't the problem. Logic Friday already gives the best answer in a few seconds and I could easily implement that. The thing is, I don't know what's the best mapping to the set of gates I can use.

A long time ago I used a program that might fit then bill. I think it was called espresso and may have been open source and written at UC Berkeley. Haven't seen it in 10 years though.

Most contemporary design flows, ASIC or FPGA, have a higher level synthesis tool that performs the logic minimization automatically.

What technology are you using that you can't have a nand gate or a nor gate? In CMOS an AND gate is a NAND gate with an inverter so it doesn't make sense to have an AND gate without a NAND gate. In your design you would have a "AND NOT NOT"( 8 transistors) rather than a NAND (4 transistors).

If it isn't simple enough to do by hand then why not use a CPLD?

Actually, I don't have AND gates. What I meant with the sum of products representation is that I can implement it, but I have to use several gates to make an AND. Anyway, I don't like to get into specifics about the project.
Thanks for the tip about Espresso. Logic Friday is built on it, but maybe there's some code I can reuse. It seems that it's time to give up and do some programming. Oh well, such is life.

1. What is logic optimization software?

Logic optimization software is a type of computer program that is used to improve the efficiency and performance of digital circuits and systems. It works by analyzing the logic equations and simplifying them to reduce the number of gates and connections needed to perform a specific function.

2. How does logic optimization software work?

Logic optimization software uses algorithms and techniques such as Boolean algebra, Karnaugh maps, and Quine-McCluskey method to analyze and simplify logic equations. It also takes into account factors such as timing, power consumption, and area utilization to optimize the design of digital circuits.

3. What are the benefits of using logic optimization software?

Using logic optimization software can result in a more efficient and compact design of digital circuits, which can lead to faster operation, lower power consumption, and reduced cost. It can also help to identify and fix any potential design errors or issues before the hardware is manufactured.

4. What types of logic optimization software are available?

There are various types of logic optimization software available, including commercial tools such as Synopsys Design Compiler and Mentor Graphics Leonardo Spectrum, as well as open-source tools such as ABC and Espresso. Some software focuses on specific logic optimization techniques, while others offer a combination of methods.

5. How do I choose the right logic optimization software?

The choice of logic optimization software will depend on your specific needs and requirements. Some factors to consider include the features and capabilities of the software, compatibility with your design tools, and the level of support and documentation provided. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other engineers in the field.