Searle's experiment for measuring the thermal conductivity of copper

In summary, the device ensures that the flow rate of water through the heat exchanger remains constant, so that the cistern stays filled up to the level of the overflow pipe.
BOAS
Hello,

i'm doing my prep for my lab experiment tomorrow and have a few questions about the experiment.

The schematic is attached.

My lab script says the following;

Once the steam is flowing well and thermometer T1 has started to rise significantly, adjust the rate of water flow through the heat exchanger until it flows out of the outlet at a few hundred cm3 in 3-5 mins (the precise rate does not matter). The flow rate should be such that the constant level cistern stays filled up to the level of the overflow pipe, but without a huge amount overflowing.

2 questions.

It says the precise rate of flow of water through the heat exchanger is unnecessary to know. Is this because I will be collecting all the water so will know it's mass?

What is the purpose of the constant level cistern? I think this might become clearer when I actually see the apparatus but i'd sleep easier tonight knowing that I understand it's purpose.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Attachments

• IMG00001.gif
    IMG00001.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,316
Science news on Phys.org
(1) Yes, but also the instruction is telling you that the experiment will work just as well at higher or lower flow rates (within quite a wide range).

(2) Although the exact flow rate doesn't matter, you do need it to stay the same once you've set it. If you simply connected the heat exchange pipe to the water tap the flow rate might not stay the same; e.g.. it might be affected by someone else in the lab turning a tap on or off. The constant flow device keeps the flow rate constant because it gives a constant pressure difference between the two ends of the heat exchanger pipe.

The apparatus in the diagram is exactly the same as the apparatus I used at a school a very long time ago, and it probably hasn't changed since G F C Searle devised it, perhaps a hundred years ago [1905, I believe]. A design classic!

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
That makes a lot of sense, thanks!

1. What is Searle's experiment for measuring the thermal conductivity of copper?

Searle's experiment is a method for determining the thermal conductivity of a material, in this case copper. It involves measuring the rate of heat transfer through a copper rod of known length, cross-sectional area, and temperature difference.

2. How does Searle's experiment work?

The experiment works by applying a known amount of heat to one end of the copper rod and measuring the temperature change at the other end. By using the known length and cross-sectional area of the rod, along with the temperature difference, the thermal conductivity of copper can be calculated using a specific formula.

3. What are the advantages of using Searle's experiment for measuring thermal conductivity?

One advantage is that it is a relatively simple and straightforward method. It also does not require any special equipment, making it a cost-effective option for measuring thermal conductivity. Additionally, the results obtained from this experiment are accurate and reliable.

4. Are there any limitations to Searle's experiment?

One limitation is that it assumes the copper rod is perfectly homogeneous and has a uniform temperature distribution. In reality, there may be slight variations in the composition and temperature of the rod, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the experiment does not take into account any external factors that may affect the heat transfer, such as air flow.

5. Can Searle's experiment be used to measure the thermal conductivity of other materials?

Yes, this experiment can be used to measure the thermal conductivity of any solid material, as long as the material has a known length, cross-sectional area, and temperature difference can be applied. However, the specific formula used to calculate the thermal conductivity may vary depending on the material being tested.