Second BS in Eng or MS in Applied Math

In summary, a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering focuses on practical skills in a specific field, while a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics emphasizes theoretical concepts for various industries. It is possible to pursue a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering regardless of undergraduate degree, but additional prerequisites may be required. Graduates with these degrees can pursue careers in industries such as aerospace, finance, and healthcare. The length of these programs varies, with a second Bachelor's degree taking 2-3 years and a Master's degree taking 1-2 years. Both degrees can serve as a foundation for a PhD, but admission to a PhD program often requires a strong academic background and research experience.
RugbyEng
I started this topic in the career guidance thread but realized this is probably the thread where it should be.

After graduating with my BS in Kinesiology I realized that I did not want to pursue a career in the field, they were too people oriented and not stimulating enough. So I'm at a point where I know I want to do something technical. I've taken about 2 semesters worth of undergrad ME classes and am currently at a University pursuing my second BS in ME, I have about 4-5 semesters left to get the degree. This time frame seems excessive and it's mostly due to the worthless foreign language and culture class deficiencies I need to graduate. Also, I'm a little worried that I will end up being a CAD-jockey instead of doing something more analytically oriented. To be honest, I despised Materials and Statics class, I am really hoping that fluid dynamics and heat transfers will be more my thing.

Basically, I've come to a point where I'm really considering getting a MS in Applied Math. I believe I could get into a program by taking the GRE and a linear alg class, seeing as I've already taken the Calcs and Diff EQ. I'm definitely more interested in the application of the theory and think it would be fun to create mathematical models etc. The job prospects are probably equal for a BS in ME and MS in Applied Math. Also, the time frame for each degree is about equal. The MS would allow me to skip these worthless "red-tape" classes and probably put me at a higher earning potential, so I'd be positioned as if I had started working when I graduated in 2010. I'm also positive that I'd pursue and MS somewhere down the road anyways.

What do you all think, BS in ME or MS in Applied Math? Can I get into an MS with the GRE, calcs, diff eq, lin alg, and a 300 level stat class?
Would the time-frames be equal?
Is it possible to obtain an MS in 1.5 years?
Could I get into similar professions?

Sorry for the kind of double threads, I just wanted to make sure I got this in the correct forum.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your dilemma and your desire to pursue a more technical career path. It's great that you have already taken some undergraduate courses in mechanical engineering and are now considering a second BS or an MS in Applied Math.

Firstly, I would like to assure you that both a BS in ME and an MS in Applied Math can lead to a variety of job opportunities and career paths. It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths, as well as the industry you want to work in. With a BS in ME, you can work as a mechanical engineer, designing and developing mechanical systems and products. On the other hand, with an MS in Applied Math, you can work as an applied mathematician, using mathematical models to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, finance, and data analysis.

In terms of the time frame, it is possible to complete an MS in Applied Math in 1.5 years, but it may require taking a heavier course load and possibly summer courses. However, it is always best to check with the specific program you are interested in to confirm their requirements and duration.

As for getting into an MS program, you will likely need to take the GRE and complete any prerequisite courses required by the program. Each program may have different requirements, so it's best to research and reach out to the program directly for more information.

Ultimately, the decision between a BS in ME and an MS in Applied Math should be based on your interests and career goals. If you enjoy applying mathematical concepts to real-world problems and are more interested in the analytical side of engineering, then an MS in Applied Math may be a better fit for you. However, if you prefer hands-on design and development work, then a BS in ME may be the better option.

I hope this helps guide your decision. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

Related to Second BS in Eng or MS in Applied Math

1. What is the difference between a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering and a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics?

A second Bachelor's degree in Engineering focuses on developing practical skills and knowledge in a specific engineering field, while a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics emphasizes theoretical concepts and mathematical techniques that can be applied in various industries.

2. Can I pursue a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering even if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many universities offer programs for students who want to pursue a second Bachelor's degree in a different field. However, it may require completing additional prerequisite courses.

3. What career opportunities are available with a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics?

Graduates with a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering can pursue careers in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and technology. With a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics, career options include data analysis, financial modeling, and research and development in industries like finance, healthcare, and technology.

4. How long does it take to complete a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics?

The length of these programs can vary depending on the university and the individual's academic background. Generally, a second Bachelor's degree takes 2-3 years to complete, while a Master's degree takes 1-2 years.

5. Can I pursue a PhD in Engineering or Mathematics after completing a second Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree?

Yes, both a second Bachelor's degree in Engineering and a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics can serve as a foundation for pursuing a PhD in the respective fields. However, admission to a PhD program often requires a strong academic background and research experience.