Second Derivative of Trigonometric Functions

In summary, we solved for the second derivative of y=xtanx, which is y"=sec2x + x(2sec2xtanx)+sec2x. By using the trigonometric identity secx=1/cosx, we can simplify the answer to y"=(2+2xtanx)/cos^2x=(2cosx+2xsinx)/(cos^3x).
tad.confused
Homework Statement
Find the second derivative (y") of y=xtanx.

The attempt at a solution
I got the first derivative (y')
y=xtanx
y'=x(secx)+tanx

I started the second derivative and got stuck
y"=xsec^2x+tanx

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi tad.confused! welcome to pf! :smile:
tad.confused said:
Find the second derivative (y") of y=xtanx.

I got the first derivative (y')
y=xtanx
y'=x(secx)+tanx

no, (tanx)' = sec2x

(if you're not convinced about that, apply the quotient rule to tanx = sinx/cosx)

and (secx)' = secx tanx :wink:

your y' is a bit off, it should be:

y'=x*sec2x+tanx

You got the first derivative completely wrong. Derivative of Tan x is not sec x, its sec^2 x. This way your problem goes as follows.

y = x tan x
y' = tanx + x sec^2 x

and

y" = sec2x + x ( 2 sec2x tan x ) + sec2 x

[ Derivative sec2x is given by first reducing the SQUARE FORM to a simple linear form by the Power Rule of Derivatives and then consequently taking the derivative of the reduced function.

blumist said:
You got the first derivative completely wrong. Derivative of Tan x is not sec x, its sec^2 x. This way your problem goes as follows.

y = x tan x
y' = tanx + x sec^2 x

and

y" = sec2x + x ( 2 sec2x tan x ) + sec2 x

[ Derivative sec2x is given by first reducing the SQUARE FORM to a simple linear form by the Power Rule of Derivatives and then consequently taking the derivative of the reduced function.

Oh, I had it right on the paper, but I typed the first derivative wrong. oops.

ok, so i get what was done, but the answer that is in the back of the book (and I understand that they are wrong sometimes) says that it is (2cosx+2xsinx)/((cos^3)x)

also, if I did the math right, I went from

(sec^2x+(2sec^2xtanx)+sec^2x)
and then dividing it all by sec^2x and canceled all of the sec^2x's and got 2+2xtanx

This is *kind of* close to what the back of my book says which is (2+2xtanx)/cos^2x=(2cosx+2xsinx)/((cos^3)x)

hi tad.confused! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
tad.confused said:
and then dividing it all by sec^2x and canceled all of the sec^2x's and got 2+2xtanx

This is *kind of* close to what the back of my book says which is (2+2xtanx)/cos^2x=(2cosx+2xsinx)/((cos^3)x)

that is the same … just use secx = 1/cosx :smile:

(and blumist, please don't give out full answers … on this forum, we help people to get the answers themselves … see the two previous posts :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
hi tad.confused! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

that is the same … just use secx = 1/cosx :smile:

(and blumist, please don't give out full answers … on this forum, we help people to get the answers themselves … see the two previous posts :wink:)

Oh! wow didn't even think about that! thanks!
Oh, so secx=1/cosx and its the same for sec2x=1/cos2x?
also, thank you for the tip about the subscript, so much easier :smile:

tad.confused said:
Oh, so secx=1/cosx and its the same for sec2x=1/cos2x?

Yup! :biggrin:

(And now I think you now need to learn all the trigonometric identities in the PF Library :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Yup! :biggrin:

(And now I think you now need to learn all the trigonometric identities in the PF Library :wink:)

I get it now! Thank you sooooo much!:biggrin:

Sorry... Didnt really think about it!:biggrin:

You got it Tim.:approve:

What is the second derivative of a trigonometric function?

The second derivative of a trigonometric function is the derivative of the derivative of the function. It represents the rate of change of the slope of the function at a given point.

How do you find the second derivative of a trigonometric function?

To find the second derivative of a trigonometric function, you can use the standard rules of differentiation and the chain rule. You first take the derivative of the function, and then take the derivative of that result.

What is the purpose of finding the second derivative of a trigonometric function?

One purpose of finding the second derivative of a trigonometric function is to determine the concavity of the function. The sign of the second derivative at a certain point can tell you if the function is concave up or concave down at that point. It can also be used to find points of inflection.

Can the second derivative of a trigonometric function be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of a trigonometric function can be negative. This would indicate that the function is concave down at that point. However, it is important to note that the second derivative can change sign multiple times within a function.

Do all trigonometric functions have a second derivative?

No, not all trigonometric functions have a second derivative. It depends on the specific function and the interval it is defined on. For example, the tangent function has a second derivative on its entire domain, while the cosecant function does not have a second derivative at its asymptotes.