Second Derivative-Relative Maxima

• Thread starter Justabeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxima
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the relative maximum of a function by setting the second derivative to zero and solving, but the person is stuck and asks for help. The conversation also includes a discussion on inflection points and determining the maximum and minimum points using the first derivative.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

I have to find the relative maximum, so I'm going to set the second derivative to zero and solve. But, this is where I'm stuck.

Homework Equations

f"(x)= (x^2-4)(sin(2x)) - (2x)(1+cos^2(x))/ ((1+cos^2(x))^2) [The entire equation is divided by the ((1+cos^2(x))^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

(x^2-4)(sin(2x)) - (2x) (1+cos^2(x))= 0
(x^2-4) (sin(2x)) = (2x) (1+cos^2(x))

I feel like an idiot, because I can't get past this point ^. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Justabeginner said:

Homework Statement

I have to find the relative maximum, so I'm going to set the second derivative to zero and solve. But, this is where I'm stuck.

Homework Equations

f"(x)= (x^2-4)(sin(2x)) - (2x)(1+cos^2(x))/ ((1+cos^2(x))^2) [The entire equation is divided by the ((1+cos^2(x))^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

(x^2-4)(sin(2x)) - (2x) (1+cos^2(x))= 0
(x^2-4) (sin(2x)) = (2x) (1+cos^2(x))

I feel like an idiot, because I can't get past this point ^. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

First: what is your f(x)? Second: why are you trying to find the inflection points of the graph y = f(x)?

f(x) is the integral of x^2-4/((1+cos^2(x))

I am trying to find the maximum, not the inflection points, but I just realized that solving for the 2nd derivative gives you the inflection points? How would I get the maximum then?

If I plug into the second derivative, with the critical points given by the first derivative, then I get zero. This means that neither -2 or 2 are relative maxima?

Justabeginner said:
f(x) is the integral of x^2-4/((1+cos^2(x))

I am trying to find the maximum, not the inflection points, but I just realized that solving for the 2nd derivative gives you the inflection points? How would I get the maximum then?

If I plug into the second derivative, with the critical points given by the first derivative, then I get zero. This means that neither -2 or 2 are relative maxima?

So now you have told us that$$
f(x) = \int \frac {x^2-4}{1+\cos^2 x}\, dx$$and apparently you understand that$$
f'(x) = \frac {x^2-4}{1+\cos^2 x}$$and you have figured out that the critical points are ##x=\pm 2##. I didn't check your second derivative, but you shouldn't need it anyway. Write your first derivative as$$
\frac {(x+2)(x-2)}{1+\cos^2 x}$$The denominator is always positive. Look at the signs of the factors in the numerator to see when the slope is positive or negative and use that to determine the max/min points.

That's where I'm lost. They both give you zero. Are they maximums on the interval? When x < -2 and x > 2 , f(x) > 0

Justabeginner said:
That's where I'm lost. They both give you zero. Are they maximums on the interval? When x < -2 and x > 2 , f(x) > 0

That isn't ##f(x)## we are talking about the signs for, it is ##f'(x)##. What do the signs tell you? And what about between ##-2## and ##2##?

I think I realize what I did wrong.

The intervals I needed to test were: x < -2 , - 2 < x < 2, and x > 2

For x < -2, f'(x) > 0
For -2 < x < 2, f'(x) < 0
For x > 2, f'(x) > 0

I come to the conclusion that (-2, 0) and (2, 0) are the relative minima and (0, -2) is the relative maximum. Is this correct?

Justabeginner said:
I think I realize what I did wrong.

The intervals I needed to test were: x < -2 , - 2 < x < 2, and x > 2

For x < -2, f'(x) > 0
For -2 < x < 2, f'(x) < 0
For x > 2, f'(x) > 0

I come to the conclusion that (-2, 0) and (2, 0) are the relative minima and (0, -2) is the relative maximum. Is this correct?

Maximum and minimum of what? You keep omitting what you are finding the maximum and minimum of. And therefore confusing f(x) and f'(x). Where did you get those values for the y coordinate? What are they the y values of?

What is a second derivative-relative maxima?

A second derivative-relative maxima is a point on a graph where the second derivative is equal to zero, indicating a change in direction from concave down to concave up. This point is also known as a relative maximum because it is a high point relative to the surrounding points on the graph.

How is a second derivative-relative maxima calculated?

A second derivative-relative maxima is calculated by taking the second derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero. This will give the x-coordinate of the point. To find the y-coordinate, simply plug the x-coordinate into the original function.

What is the significance of a second derivative-relative maxima in a graph?

A second derivative-relative maxima is significant because it represents a change in the curvature of the graph. It is also a point where the slope of the graph changes from decreasing to increasing, indicating a shift from a downward trend to an upward trend.

How can a second derivative-relative maxima be identified on a graph?

A second derivative-relative maxima can be identified on a graph as the highest point on a curve where the second derivative is equal to zero. Visually, it will look like a "hill" or a peak on the graph.

What is the relationship between a first derivative and a second derivative-relative maxima?

The first derivative of a function represents the slope of the graph, while the second derivative represents the curvature of the graph. A second derivative-relative maxima occurs when the first derivative is equal to zero and the second derivative is positive, indicating that the slope is changing from negative to positive. This relationship helps us identify and understand the behavior of a graph at a second derivative-relative maxima.