1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Law of Thermodynamics problem

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As shown in the figure, a system undergoing a power cycle develops a net power output of 1MW while receiving energy by heat transfer from steam condensing from saturated vapor to saturated liquid at a pressure of 100 kPa. Energy is discharged from the cycle by heat transfer to a nearby lake at 17 deg. C. These are the only significant heat transfers. Kinetic and potential energy effects can be ignored. For operation at steady state, determine the minimum theoretical mass flow rate, in kg/s, required by any such cycle.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

(the book has letters with dots above them, these are represented by 'd')

dW = dQH-dQC
    [​IMG] (equals zero)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I just did this problem again, and here is what I get:

I calculate efficiency, which is 1-(Tc/Th), T being in Kelvin. I get 41/186, or ~0.2204

Then I use the formila Q=W/n, n is efficiency, so it is 1000000/(41/186) = ~4536585.4

Then plugging this Q into the mass flow formula, where gz and V^2/2 are zero:

4530585.4-1000000+m(2675-417), 2675 and 417 being enthalpy values at the states given

I get a negative number, but mass flow rate can't really be negative per say, so I end up with m=1566.2468

Am I right?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2
    I updated the problem with my current solution (or what I think is the solution)

Please let me know if I am on track

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?