Second Order Differential Equations

In summary, for the given initial value problem with a nonhomogeneous term of t, the solution is found by first finding the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system, which involves solving the characteristic equation. If there is a repeated root, a second solution is found by multiplying the first solution by t. The particular solution is then found by guessing a solution that is also a solution to the nonhomogeneous equation, and solving for the coefficients using the given initial values. In this case, a better particular solution would be a constant term plus a term with a coefficient of t.
roam

Homework Statement

Solve the following initial value problem:

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + 2 \frac{dy}{dt}+y = t[/itex]

[itex]y(0) = 1, \ y'(0) = 0[/itex]

The correct answer must be: [itex]y(t)=3e^{-t} + 2 t e^{-t} + t -2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Where did they get the term 2te-t from?

Here's how I've done it so far:

We can find the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system:

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + 2 \frac{dy}{dt}+y = 0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^2 e^{st}}{dt^2} + 2 \frac{de^{st}}{dt}+e^{st} = (s^2 + 2s +1) e^{st} =0[/itex]

[itex](s+1)(s+1) \implies s=-1[/itex]

So we have a repeated eigenvalue. Solution to the homogeneous equation is

[itex]y_h= C_1 e^{-t}[/itex]

Now we must find a particular solution, I chose yp=t-2, since we it is a solution of the nonhomogeneous equation. Therefore the solution is

y = yh + yp = C1 e-t + t - 2

Now I can use the given initial values to work out C1:

y' = -C1e-t + 1

y(0) = C1 - 2 = 1 ⇒ C1 = 3

y'(0) = -C1+1 = 0

I get y = 3e-t + t - 2, but there must be another coefficient so we can solve two equations in two unknowns. But how do we get the term 2te-t? Even if I wrote the repeated eigenvalue twice C1e-t + C2e-t, I still don't get the term 2te-t. So what's the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following initial value problem:

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + 2 \frac{dy}{dt}+y = t[/itex]

[itex]y(0) = 1, \ y'(0) = 0[/itex]

The correct answer must be: [itex]y(t)=3e^{-t} + 2 t e^{-t} + t -2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Where did they get the term 2te-t from?

Here's how I've done it so far:

We can find the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system:

[itex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + 2 \frac{dy}{dt}+y = 0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{d^2 e^{st}}{dt^2} + 2 \frac{de^{st}}{dt}+e^{st} = (s^2 + 2s +1) e^{st} =0[/itex]

[itex](s+1)(s+1) \implies s=-1[/itex]

So we have a repeated eigenvalue. Solution to the homogeneous equation is

[itex]y_h= C_1 e^{-t}[/itex]
No, this is only one solution, and you need two. In cases like this where there is a repeated root of the characteristic equation, you get another solution by multiplying by t.

So two solutions of the homogeneous equation are
[itex]\{e^{-t}, te^{-t}\}[/itex]

The solution to the homogeneous equation would be all linear combinations of the above; ##y_h= C_1 e^{-t} + C_2t e^{-t}##
roam said:
Now we must find a particular solution, I chose yp=t-2, since we it is a solution of the nonhomogeneous equation. Therefore the solution is

y = yh + yp = C1 e-t + t - 2

Now I can use the given initial values to work out C1:

y' = -C1e-t + 1

y(0) = C1 - 2 = 1 ⇒ C1 = 3

y'(0) = -C1+1 = 0

I get y = 3e-t + t - 2, but there must be another coefficient so we can solve two equations in two unknowns. But how do we get the term 2te-t? Even if I wrote the repeated eigenvalue twice C1e-t + C2e-t, I still don't get the term 2te-t. So what's the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A better particular solution to the nonhomogeneous problem would be yp = A + Bt

Oh I see, that makes perfect sense to me know. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function, often represented by y'' or d2y/dx2. It is commonly used to model physical systems and describe their behavior over time.

2. How is a second order differential equation different from a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation involves only the first derivative of the unknown function, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative. This means that a second order differential equation has a higher degree of complexity and can describe more complicated systems.

3. What is the general form of a second order differential equation?

The general form of a second order differential equation is: a2(x)y'' + a1(x)y' + a0(x)y = g(x), where a2, a1, and a0 are functions of x, and g(x) is a known function.

4. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving second order differential equations, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using an integrating factor. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and any initial conditions given.

5. What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used to model and analyze various physical systems, such as motion, heat flow, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems.