1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Order Homogeneous Eq's, Auxiliary Eq for complex roots - Help!

1. Aug 8, 2009 #1
    Hi

I'v got a maths exam on Tuesday for my 2nd year of chemial engineering.
    Been going through a past paper and have been going over 2nd order homogenous DE's

Im at the stage of calculating the roots (wether repeated or 2 distinct roots) I take the easy path like so:

E.g m2 + 4m + 4 = 0

(m + 2)(m + 2) = 0 so m=-2 (twice)

Thats easy but that doesn't work for complex roots.

My lechtrer does it this way which I dont really understand (for complex numbers that is, fine for everything else)

So something like:

m2 - 6m + 10 = 0

He then does:

m = ( 6 ± SQRT[36-40] / 2 ) = 3 ± i

I dont understand this! A general trend i see here is that the 6m = the 6 before the square root, the 36 is the 6 squared and the 40 is always the
    last number * 4 (so 10*4 = 40) This holds true for every problem but I don't have a clue how to get that answer?

I don't understand really what ' i ' is but if i got that answer I can work throuh my textbook and work out the rest, I just need to know how to get 3 ± i in the first place.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You should post this in the correct forum. But I will answer you anyway.

m2 - 6m + 10 = 0

your teacher used the quadratic equation formula

[tex]x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/tex]

and then used the fact that i=√-1 for the minus sign in the the square root when it is computed

generally for complex roots λ±μi, your general solution (or homogeneous solution) is given by

eλx(Asin(μx)+Bcos(μx)) where A & B are constants.

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3
    Fantastic, thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook