1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Order Linear Differential Equation

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    Hey, I'm not sure how to even approach this problem. It's not a simple ODE.

Basically, I want to find the solution for Θ in terms of ε. The equation is
    [itex]\frac{1}{ε}*\frac{d}{dε}*(ε*\frac{dΘ}{dε})-β^{2}Θ=0[/itex]

I tried to move the B^2 to the other side and I wasn't able to solve it that way. I can't solve it like a normal second order ODE because it has ε in front.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2
    Can you define the notation a bit? Are you solving for Θ? Is Θ a function of ε -> Θ(ε)? Is β just a constant? are there any initial conditions or you just need a general solution?

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3
    Sorry! I want to solve for Θ, and Θ is a function of ε, β is just a constant. I just want a general solution please.

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Part of your notation makes no sense. The equation above should not have d/dε "times" something. It means to take the derivative with respect to ε of (ε dθ/dε). You'll need to use the product rule to simplify this part.

Once you do this, you'll have a second order DE to solve.
    On a side note, it would be much simpler to write the equation in terms of the letters that are usually used, rather than Greek letters. Translated to x and y, your equation looks like this:
    1/x * d/dx(x dy/dx) - β2y = 0

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is stopping you from multiplying through by ε, so it will not have ε "in front"? Of course, you need ε ≠ 0, but you had to have that anyway, since you were initially dividing by ε.

BTW: do you know about Bessel functions and Bessel's differential equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted