1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order non-linear differential equation involving log

1. Dec 13, 2013 #1
    EDIT: my problem is solved, thank you to those who helped

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve:

[itex]x y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} \log (\frac{y^{\prime}}{x})[/itex]

Note: This is the first part of an undergraduate applications course in differential equations. We were taught to solve second order non-linear equations by doing tricks such as substituting [itex]u = y^{\prime}[/itex], factoring, and then dealing with the two cases that result.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried [itex]u := y^{\prime}[/itex], so [itex]u^{\prime} = y^{\prime \prime}[/itex], and so substitution gives

[itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]

but I can't seem to be able to do anything with that.

I also I noticed that

[itex] y^{\prime \prime} = y^{\prime} x^{-1} \log(y^{\prime} x^{-1}) [/itex]

which I thought was interesting. But I couldn't really do anything with it.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about log (y'/x) = log (y') - log (x)?

4. Dec 13, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want to try and find a variable change that will make it separable. Since you have u/x in the log, substituting xv=u might be a good thing to try.

5. Dec 13, 2013 #4
    You have [itex]x u^{\prime} = u \log(\frac{u}{x})[/itex]. This can be rewritten as
    [tex]\frac{d \ln u}{d\ln x}=\ln(u)-\ln(x)[/tex]
    Let ln(u) = w and ln(x) = z

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5
    thanks for the help.

OK, that was productive. Here's what I did:

[itex]v := \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} \Longrightarrow v^{\prime} = \frac{x y^{\prime \prime} - y^{\prime}}{x^2} \Longrightarrow x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = x y^{\prime \prime}[/itex]

Substituting,

[itex]x^2 v^{\prime} + y^{\prime} = y^{\prime} \log(v) \Longrightarrow x v^{\prime} + v = v \log(v)[/itex]
    [itex]\Longrightarrow \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow (v - v \log(v)) dx + x dv = 0[/itex]

[itex]M := v - v \log(v)[/itex]
    [itex]N := x[/itex]

[itex]M_v = 1 - \log(v) - 1 = -\log(v) \neq 1 = N_x[/itex]

so the equation is not exact. But

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{M} = \frac{1 + log(v)}{v(1 - \log(v))} \neq f(v)}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle{\frac{M_v - N_x}{N} = -\frac{\log(v) + 1}{x} \neq f(x)}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle{\frac{N_x - M_v}{x M - v N} = -\frac{1 + \log(v)}{x v \log(v)} \neq f(xv)}[/itex]

so I am stuck (one of those works when we are given a separable equation in my course).

7. Dec 13, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

xv'+v=vlog(v) is already separable. Just separate it and go from there.

8. Dec 13, 2013 #7
    thanks for the help.

I don't know how to evaluate

[itex]\frac{d \log(u)}{d \log(x)}[/itex]

I understand that I would be differentiating [itex]\log(u)[/itex] as a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex], but I don't see how that is a function of [itex]\log(x)[/itex].

9. Dec 13, 2013 #8
    true. OK, then

[itex]\displaystyle{\frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{v \log(v) - v}{x} \Longrightarrow \int{\frac{1}{v} \cdot \frac{1}{\log(v) - 1}} dv = \int{\frac{1}{x}}} dx[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow \log(\log(v) - 1) = \log(x) + C \Longrightarrow \log(v) - 1 = C x \Longrightarrow v = \frac{y^{\prime}}{x} = e^{C x + 1}}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle{\Longrightarrow y = \int{x e^{C x + 1}} dx = x \frac{1}{C} e^{C x + 1} - \frac{1}{C} \int{e^{C x + 1}} dx = \frac{1}{C^2} e^{C x + 1} (C x - 1) + D}[/itex]

where I just re-used [itex]C[/itex] for [itex]e^C[/itex].

I haven't verified it yet by substituting

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  10. Dec 13, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine for v, but I think you dropped a C when you were integrating by parts.

11. Dec 13, 2013 #10
    If u is a function of x, then it is a function of ln(x).

12. Dec 13, 2013 #11
    awesome. Also, I also think you are correct about the missing [itex]C[/itex], thank you--I shall update that post. Thank you for your help!

13. Dec 13, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very welcome! If you want some extra practice you should try doing it Chestermiller's way as well, it's very nice if you don't mind keeping track of a few extra substitution variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted