Second order nonlinear ODE. How to begin solving it?

In summary, the problem involves a differential equation with a function y of x, with the equation ##y'' - (y')^2 + y^3 = 0##. Various attempts at substitution were made, including using u as a function of x and y, but the most successful approach was setting y as an independent variable and substituting u = (y')^2, leading to a first-order linear equation for u. However, the solution may not be obtainable in terms of elementary functions.
2sin54

Homework Statement

This is not the exact problem that I want to solve but I will use this as a guidance tool:
##y'' - (y')^2 + y^3 = 0##
where y is the function of x

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing a substitution ##u(x) = y'(x)## which leads to
##u' - u^2 + y^3 = 0## where both u and y are functions of x so this does not work.

I tried doing a substitution ##u(y(x)) = y'(x)## which leads to
##u_y'y' - u^2 + y^3 = 0## here I have the derivative of u with respect to y and the derivative of y w. r. t. x which I never really encountered in solving these equations (maybe it is the right way and I should somehow proceed?).

Tried substitutions with ##(y')^2## which did not get me far.

Methods like variation of parameters cannot be applied here since there's no independant variable function (at least to the original dif. equation).

Any tips? For the original problem the initial conditions are given but I suppose they are not necessary to understand the method of approaching these kind of problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fusion of your ideas considering y as independent variable and substituting u = (y')2 will certainly work.
Setting y as independent variable,
##y'' = \frac {dy'}{dy} \frac {dy}{dx}=0.5 \frac {d(y')^2}{dx}
##

Substituting u=(y')^2:

##0.5 \frac {du}{dx}-u+y^3=0##

You got a first-order linear equation for u, which can be solved by the integrating factor method, for example. Knowing u(y), dy/dx=sqrt(u(y)). You need to integrate, but it is not sure the integral can be obtained in terms of elementary functions.

ehild

Thank you for the help. I now recall getting the same integrating factor once but I abandoned the solution. I get confused when there is no answer in elementary functions which is the case here.

1. What is a second order nonlinear ODE?

A second order nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its first and second derivatives. It is called nonlinear because the equation is not in the form of y = mx + b, meaning that the dependent variable (y) is not directly proportional to the independent variable (x).

2. How do I know if an ODE is second order and nonlinear?

An ODE is considered second order if the highest order of the derivative in the equation is 2. It is considered nonlinear if the equation cannot be written in the form of y = mx + b, meaning that it cannot be solved using simple algebraic methods.

3. What is the general form of a second order nonlinear ODE?

The general form of a second order nonlinear ODE is: y'' = f(x, y, y'). This means that the second derivative of the dependent variable (y'') is equal to a function (f) of the independent variable (x) and the dependent variable and its first derivative (y and y').

4. How do I begin solving a second order nonlinear ODE?

The first step in solving a second order nonlinear ODE is to identify the type of equation (e.g. separable, exact, etc.) and determine if there are any initial or boundary conditions given. Then, use appropriate techniques and methods (e.g. substitution, integration, etc.) to solve for the dependent variable (y).

5. Are there any tips for solving second order nonlinear ODEs?

Some tips for solving second order nonlinear ODEs include: 1) carefully identifying the type of equation and initial/boundary conditions, 2) using appropriate techniques and methods, 3) breaking the equation into smaller, simpler parts if possible, and 4) checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.