1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order ODE, I think 2 regular points

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello guys! I've never dealt with an ODE having 2 singularities at once, I tried to solve it but ran out of ideas. I must solve ##(x-2)y''+3y'+4\frac{y}{x^2}=0##.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rewrote the ODE into the form ##y''+\frac{3}{x-2}y'+4\frac{y}{x^2(x-2)}=0##. I notice that the singularities at ##x=2## and ##x=0## are both regular, so that Frobenius method should find at least 1 solution around any of these singularities.
    So I first tried to expand the solution around ##x=2## first. Seeking solution(s) of the form ##\phi (x)=\sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-2)^{n+c}##, I reached that [tex]\sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n(n+c)(n+c-1) (x-2)^{n+c-2}+ 3 \sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n (n+c) (x-2)^{n+c-2}+\frac{4}{x^2}\sum _{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-2)^{n+c}=0[/tex]. I stopped right there, because of the "1/x²" factor. But now that I think, maybe I can just "get rid of it" and it won't affect the solution of the ODE if I simply throw it away? Because that equation is satisfied for any x, so I guess this is enough of a reason to get rid of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was able to get this recurrence relation, which looks interesting in some ways:
    an = an-1 + an-2n(n+2)
    If you think it helps, I'll post an outline of how I got it.

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could multiply through by ##x^2 = [(x-2)+2]^2## to get everything in terms of x-2. Seems kinda of tedious though, but then Frobenius always is.

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

Following where I left, I reach the indicial equation c(c-1)+3c=0, so that c=0 or -2. Since the roots differ by an integer Frobenius method will not necessarily find the 2 linearly independent solutions of the ODE, but I am assured to find one if I use c=0 (the greater root).
    Taking c=0, I reach that ##\sum _{n=2}^\infty (x-2)^{n-2} \{ a_n[n(n+2)]+\frac{4a_{n-2}}{x^2} \}=0##. The factor 1/x² still boggles me a lot.

That would be awesome, though I don't want you to waste time writing down the latex so an explanation will do the job (I hope).

6. Nov 30, 2012 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hmm for example I could do it in my last expression of my last post and divide by ##(x-2)^{n-2}## but even then, I'd have a term multiplied by x and another one independent from x... And since that must equal 0, I guess this implies that ##a_n [n(n+2)]=0## and therefore I get the trivial solution, ##a_n=0## for any n. Hmm I probably made a mistake somewhere then.

7. Nov 30, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, here goes. Hope I made no mistakes.
    First substitution: y = x2z. A factor x cancelled out.
    2nd sub: turned all x into x+1, just to make it look a bit nicer. Got (x2-1)z''+(7x-1)z'+8z = 0
    Assuming a power series, got recurrence relation
    an+2(n+2)(n+1) = -an+1(n+1)+an(n+2)(n+4)
    3rd sub: bn=(-1)nn!an
    Got bn = bn-1+n(n+2)bn-2
    Resorted to generating samples in a spreadsheet. Looks something like n!(n+2) for n odd, (n+1)! for n even.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook