Secret Aerodynamics of B2 Stealth

In summary: Additionally, the sharp leading edge will cause the airfoil to become unstable at high angles of attack and will eventually stall.
sr241
My friend had invented a new aerodynamic concept to reduce drag. My friends and colleagues say that his concept has striking similarity to B2 Stealth Bomber (elevation) design. I think his concept is novel and we contacted Northrop Grumman but there wasn’t any feedback. So I am inviting your esteemed opinion in this regard. For details on his concept follow the link http://sites.google.com/site/highlyaerodynamicdesign/

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First, by looking at your velocity vector plots, you have no where near enough grid for those runs. Aside from that, the reason that we run blunt tips is for structural reasons. You simply can't make, let alone run wings of that shape at high speeds.

Aside from that though, good work and it never hurts to keep thinking of new ideas.

I'm sure the guys at Grumman got a good laugh out of this.

minger said:
First, by looking at your velocity vector plots, you have no where near enough grid for those runs. Aside from that, the reason that we run blunt tips is for structural reasons. You simply can't make, let alone run wings of that shape at high speeds.

Aside from that though, good work and it never hurts to keep thinking of new ideas.

Some supersonic wings have sharp leading edges. and most of the airfoils have sharp trailing edge. Actually I was planning a tilt-able leading edge that is always parallel to aircraft direction even during climb.

Words cannot express how disappointing your website and analysis is.

Last edited:
sr241 said:
Some supersonic wings have sharp leading edges. and most of the airfoils have sharp trailing edge. Actually I was planning a tilt-able leading edge that is always parallel to aircraft direction even during climb.

From the very limited amount I have learned about supersonic aerodynamics, a sharp tip (or edge) can be a bad idea because it pierces the shock layer, exposing the aircraft to high temperature gradients. Highly supersonic aircraft (such as a spacecraft re-entering the atmosphere) have to utilize a blunt body that uses the shock layer for insulation, because anything piercing the shock layer would melt off.

From an FEA standpoint, a sharp tip like that will cause a singularity in your code which needs to be accounted for.

1. What makes the B2 Stealth bomber aerodynamically advanced?

The B2 Stealth bomber is aerodynamically advanced due to its unique shape, which includes a "flying wing" design that reduces drag and increases lift. It also has advanced materials and coatings that make it difficult to detect by radar.

2. How does the B2 Stealth bomber maintain its stealth capabilities while flying?

The B2 Stealth bomber uses a combination of design features, such as its angled surfaces and special coatings, to reflect and absorb radar signals, making it difficult for radar systems to detect. It also has a low thermal signature, further reducing its detectability.

3. What role does air turbulence play in the B2 Stealth bomber's aerodynamics?

Air turbulence is a major consideration in the design of the B2 Stealth bomber. The aircraft's unique shape and design help to reduce turbulence and maintain a smooth airflow, which is crucial for maintaining its stealth capabilities.

4. How does the B2 Stealth bomber achieve its long range and high altitude capabilities?

The B2 Stealth bomber's aerodynamic design allows it to fly at high altitudes with reduced drag, meaning it can travel longer distances without refueling. Its advanced engines and fuel efficiency also contribute to its long range capabilities.

5. Can the B2 Stealth bomber's aerodynamics be improved even further?

While the B2 Stealth bomber's aerodynamics are already highly advanced, there are ongoing efforts to improve its design and capabilities even further. This includes exploring new materials and technologies that could enhance its stealth capabilities and performance.

Back